Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fan Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanqubus, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I recently bought an Ampeg SVT-II Pro, it is about 2 months old now I guess. Just this week I have started noticing that I actually do have a fan, before this week I never heard it running. Well now its been running, so tonight I had it on for about 3-4 hours and then turned it off. I came back about an hour later and turned it back on and all of a sudden a horrible noise came from the fan. It sounded like something was hitting it like a wire or something, so I took off the cover. When I did this it didn't make the noise right away, then after about 15 seconds it started back up. I pushed the housing just a bit and then turned it back on, it worked like a charm. Then after running for about a minute it did it again, when it happened you could see the fan slow down. It only did it for a couple seconds and stopped on its own. It then ran for another 5 minutes without a problem. I was just wondering what it could be, there doesn't appear to be anything hitting it or rubbing on it. Could one of the bearings possibly be messed up? Hopefully it won't do it again, I'm kind of leary to play because I won't be able to hear it if it does it and I'm playing. Whats the worst that could happen, burn the fan motor up? Should I get this looked at or just wait and see what happens. Like I said the amp is only a few months old and is still under plenty of warranty.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I had an SVT-400T several years ago and I had to replace the cooling fan every 2 years or so. It would start to scrape internally as the bearings/bushings gave out (probably from the vibration of sitting on the vibrating cabinets). It cost about $25 and took 10 minutes; Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com) had lots of fans. I went for the same physical size and voltage and the most airflow I could get.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    What have you got to lose, it's under warranty? Of course, an SVT 2 is heavy, so i see why you'd want to move it as little as possible ;)

4. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I just realized that the amp probably isn't under warranty. I hadn't thought about it until now, but I never filled out any warranty information when I got it, like I have with my other equipment. The amp was a store demo and all I got was the amp, the cord, and the manual, never any warranty info. Can I still get the warranty with the amp, can Ampeg send me it or something? About the sitting on the vibrating cabs, I'm gonna be getting a shock-mount case within the next month should this protect the amp from the vibrations, so that I can still allow it to sit on the cab? I'd much rather have it sit up there than anywhere else, we move around on stage quite a bit.

Thanks for your responses guys, Jordan.

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I put a fan in my SVT before they had fans(1970's & 80's)....it made the power supplies last longer before I had to rebuild them. Mouser is a good source(mentioned above). For vibration, you may want to check out isolating shock mounts(similar to rubber donuts filled with viscous fluid, electronics stores should have 'em) and silicone those to the bottom of your amp.

6. IF you have the receipt for it, call them, they have a 5 yr transferable warranty. Even if you don't have the receipt, call them and give them the serial number, they can probably verify the age by that and you should be good to go. Warranty cards are really for the marketing people, that's why they ask you all those weird questions about what cook books you use, and how much you spent on jelly beans in the last six months.

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I agree- proof of purchase is the thing you REALLY need for warranty stuff.