1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fan volume: EICH T-1000 also suitable for home use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by labasse, Jun 12, 2018.

1. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    Hi, My present amp has a loud fan and no headphone jack. So after practicing a while, the noise of the fan becomes tiresome; ear fatigue, etc.

I have seen a couple of Eich T-1000 bass amps for sale here recently and those who sold them seemed to be generally happy with the amp. Also, I watched a few presentations on YouTube, which made a good impression but it’s difficult to find an actual review of the amp.

What I want to know is pretty simple though, is the amp also suitable for home use? Would fan noise be an issue when not using headphones? Or, is the fan loud or quiet when the amp is being played at low volume through a cabinet?

Thank you for any and all replies!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    StrangerDanger likes this.
  3. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    Phil Jones Bass also has a fanless model, the D-1000. Other than a brief mention in a NAMM video, I haven’t heard anything else about it. But I’m primarily interested in the Eich T-1000. Just want to know about fan noise before making a decision.

seamonkey likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are lots of amps with very quiet fans out there you might investigate other amps as well. Otherwise, there are some smaller amps with either extremely quiet fans or no fan at all that might suit your practice needs even better.

5. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    Yes, this is true. But I’d like to have a lightweight amp that covers all the bases! ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    What bases do you need covered that other lightweight amps do not adequately cover?

armyadarkness likes this.
  7. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    I’ll tell you about my current amp. Without naming names, the amp I’m currently using does not have a jack for headphones. I knew this before I bought the amp - but I also took into consideration that the manufacturer expressly stated that the fans were whisper quiet. Truth of the matter is that only one of the fans fit that description. The other fan is *loud*. It doesn’t matter if the amp has been running for a few minutes or an hour or more, the fan is *loud*. Even if the amp has been on for a few minutes before you play a single note, the *loud* fan will switch on at the highest speed and loudest db it is capable of.

My other amp, an Eden WT300 Traveler died. It was perfect for home use as well as certain types of gigs. Quiet operation nearly all the time. The fan kicked on only when the amp was being pushed to its limit. And it had a jack for headphones.

What I need now is a lightweight amp that provides ample headroom for gigs and quiet operation when I’m practicing at home, w/wo headphones.

Based on the YouTube presentations, the Eich T-1000 fits the bill as far as sound and tonal control goes. It it well-featured and would suit my wish to run two 212 4 ohm cabinets. But most of the time I will be using just one 212 cabinet. Only question I have is, how loud is the fan? Is it truly thermal-controlled like the Eden WT300 was, or is it more like “Whatsitsnameamp”?

Covering all the bases, yes, that would be ideal. One amp rather than two. Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There are plenty of amps by a variety of manufacturers that have headphone outputs and very quiet fans.

Perhaps asking which amps players here have experience with might just as well or better cover those bases and get you more valuable information overall? I think that's what some of the guys here have attempted to do.

Why not have your WT-300 fixed if that suited your needs?

9. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    Hey, I asked about the Eich T-1000. It’s okay to make the assumption that I have already considered a variety of amps by other manufacturers. This was at least implied. Don’t know what else to say about that.

As for the WT300, perhaps I will eventually have it repaired. However, it’s not what I what I want to do now.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Install a switch on the fan

11. Here's a German speaking review of the Eich T 900. I have no idea if that helps.
    It says "for bassists who want to use the amp at home, it should be mentioned that the fan starts working right away once the amp is switched on, however, the fan is almost inaudible."
    https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/eich-amplification-t900-test/2.html
    I tested the T 1000 last year and didn't hear any noise from the fan. Granted, I didn't test it at home with my headphones in a practice environment, but from what I remember it's a very quiet amp.

labasse likes this.
  12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think @BassAgent has an Eich.

Perhaps he can comment on ambient fan noise.

13. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I have a T-500 and I have no problem whatsoever with fan noise :) I have recorded it in quiet situations (acoustic Americana trio) and no problems with anything.

By the way: when I read the title of this thread I imagined a man shouting "EICH IS THE BEST I LOVE EICH"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    labasse likes this.
  14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Hahahahaha

15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    I use a pair of GK MB Fusion 800's, both are near silent. I use an Ampeg PF500, same. I have used in the past a MESA M6, sort of quiet, a MESA D800, very quiet, a TC BH550, you could hear the fan on it but I wouldn't say it was "loud"...and at least a dozen other modern amps...none of which I would say could give me a headache from the fans...it could be possible that one of your 2 fans is on its way down the crapper, you might be able to replace it yourself.

armyadarkness and labasse like this.
  16. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    :roflmao: Very funny!! Maybe I should tone it down a little!

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Now this is a way to destroy a perfectly good amp.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Then maybe you can just buy one and let us know how loud the fan is.

Jeff Scott and armyadarkness like this.
  19. labasse

labasse

Jun 12, 2018
    Maybe - but I bought the amp new 11 days ago, received it a week ago today.

A few posts here, from people who own/have used the amp mention that the fan is loud. Still, others here mention that they didn’t notice the fans. A YouTube presentation of someone using the amp makes it easy to hear the fan roaring in the background. Of course, some YouTube videos are better produced than others, so you only hear what the producers want you to hear.

Things that I didn’t notice, or take much note of before buying the amp. And then there’s the fact that the manufacturer said the fans were whisper quiet.

I likely will do that!

20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    11 days a go and you aren't happy...if it were me...it would go right back, end of story. Rock on!

labasse likes this.