Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fanboy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 19, 2005.

1. haha - i'm a Geddy Lee fan, and i was just remembering some of the things I did to make me more like him.

I did the whole 80's thing of wearing a suit jacket over a t-shirt (how Miami Vice, lol)

I even bought a Steinberger copy so I could look like him, doh. I played to Rush records over and over, probably can still play those songs heehee.

Just wondering if you guys did that idol worship thing, and your stories.....

2. I'm a fanboy...

I have a lot of SP records... I have some Smashing Pumpkins shirts.. and I even make songs that sound like them...

As for sonic youth. I rip them off alot. Again, I have shirts of them, and I also tune my guitars like them! (OT: My project for the week is gonna be a song with no bass. Three (or two) guitars, one of which tuned B-E-D-Gb-B-E supporting the low end, and the last half of the song is a free form noise jam, Phrasing the avant garde piece "+/-")

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. Stanley Clarke and the Alembic, Jaco and his fretless, been there done that. Fortunately I've moved beyond that kind of thing (I hope). :)

4. nonsq, I hear you - i've moved on from being the ultimate Rush fanboy.

Lucky you - being able to afford an Alembic, I could buy a small house for those $ in my part of the world. BTW - are LED neck dots a little over the top in your opinion? :p

5. all denim, a misfits shirt and long hair... go cliff!

6. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    wooten, rip off his playing style lol all the time

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    When I was 15 I was so much into John Deacon that I even used to move like him onstage (you know, that lame way of moving he has) and also used these kind of short pants he used too. Then I went into Geddy too. Still can't get off this "end of phrase" vibrato he had (back in the high screaming voice days) from my own singing.

ANDRUCA