1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fancy P Basses Just Dont Seem Right To Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Sep 25, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I realized today that there aren't many dolled up, exotic wooded, bedazzled out P Basses around. Just solid, hard working thump machines. I like that.

Jazz basses seem like they are well suited to being fancied up but P's are fine with a solid color finish and a single passive pickup (although a PJ is on my list of must have basses.

Exception might be a "so-gaudy-it's-awful" metalflake paint job.

I apologize if you have a swank P Bass and I invite you to change my mind but that's my rant.

Who's gonna make the first tort comment?

2. What about signature p basses?

3. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I have several, some are workhorses, but some are masterpieces, like this one. Play what you like!

DSCN8334_zps0b06a4a0.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The one idea I've read around here is that the Precision pickup itself does so much to colour the tone of the bass that there isn't too much of a point in messing around with tone woods or preamps. I don't know how true that is, but if people believe that then it would degrade the market for fancy Precisions.

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I LOVE fancy Precisions!
    PBassWalnut2.

My walnut-bodied, Schecter solid rosewood neck Precision.
    It's is my current favorite recording bass, as it's all passive, bolt-on, has that Fender 62 pickup, 250 K pots, so you know basically how it sounds. But it has a slightly different focus and is very immediate, very articulate, and has a tremendous piano-like fundamental, even with old strings.

It's not really "Alembic-level" fancy, it is pretty much
    a Precision with a twist, although the trick is more evident in how it responds to the player's input, more than how it sounds. It sounds a little different, but it feels significantly different. May not be right for everybody, but it REALLY works for me.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Mine is a mangled old 1974 and it sounds killer.

Looks like a baby pooed on it, but I haven't played a P from any other builder (AC, Sadowsky, etc.) that sounded better. Don't need fancy wood or inlays for this bass to smoke!

I will likely never sell it.

DSC02563.
    DSC04227.
    DSC04232.

7. Hot damn, I would marry that thing.

8. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I would consider all of these to fit the "workhorse" aesthetic other than that walnut beauty. That bass is now at the top of my "I don't like fancy precisions except..." List haha. Seriously, that's a beautiful bass.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Thanks! Oddly enough, that one is my workhorse. Studio workhorse.

But I totally "get" what you're saying... a Precision's essence is utilitarian. The sound is comparatively limited, but the "vocal range" if you will, of the Precision is comfortable, useful and ultimately musical.

My walnut one is just an "exaggerated" Precision.

10. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Absolutely. I've seen a few with fancy inlays, veneer tops, elaborate active pickup systems and it just seems odd. I've been planning on putting together a Warmoth bass and thought about a precision but all the unique options seemed wrong. Gonna go with a Black Korina Jazz Bass with wenge neck instead.

11. I have parts for a complete P build including a nice-looking ash body that I'd like to top w/some funky walnut Ive had for years- 70's-era brass bridge, gold tuners, fretless neck... I'm seeing a *fancy-ish* wood P, w/typical passive guts, maybe a PJ setup. Wouldnt expect anything tonally different from your sig P or P/J sound and feel, but I could definitely see *boutique* woods etc on the P. Would be somewhat unusual.

12. WOW:eek:

13. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Ps of all different styles. It's all I own:

[​IMG]

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I won't try to change your mind if you don't try to change mine. ;)

Actually, I mostly agree with you. I've decided that I prefer non-fancy basses of any model. My P-basses have five strings, but are otherwise traditional:
    • Butterscotch with black guard
    • CAR with mint guard
    • Black with black guard
    In fact all of the above have just a single pickup. I'm traditional that way, too.

All that said, I decided to get just one blinged-out P-bass. It's still in progress:

56_top_zps1ea8420a.

15. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    OP: I tend to agree with you, but that's across the board for me, not Precision-specific. Fancy/pretty/exotic basses just aren't my thing. I'll take a beaten up pawn shop Precision over a pretty one any day...and won't have to feel the slightest bit of guilt when it gets tossed across a stage or knocked around in the back of a van.

16. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I guess I agree, although my favorite Oly white w/tort looks pretty bling-y to me. But I guess I'm more put off about having to pay $1200 for a workhorse P. (I know I can get a Squier for $300, but I'm a snob, OK?)

17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Well, might not be "fancy", but this P bass is "pretty" in my eyes...

dvt1za.

18. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    that one has stories to tell.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Aw, so I bought a Bedazzler for nothing?

20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009