Fanless alternative to QSC PLX 2402

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    My QSC PLX 2402 drives either of my Aguilar 2x10 or Bergantino NV610 cabs with applomb. However, when I'm not at a rehearsal or gig, and am practicing at moderate volumes, the fan noise drives me nuts. To the point that I am looking for alternative amps that don't have fans. So far, the Stewart World 1.2 is the leading contender. Less power than the QSC, but still enough headroom for either cab me thinks.

Any other fanless power amps I should consider?
  2. I have the same gear. 2402 and NV610 with a Demeter 201s. Great stuff, and the fan doe not bother me I'm happy to say. My other amp is the renown Walter Woods Ultra and it makes absolutley NO noise and is light as a feather. Pricey but worth every penny to me so far.
  3. UH what he said.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I own both a K2 and a PLX2402. For playing around the house by myself, my Hafler P-3000 gets the call though. The rest of the time, it serves nicely for my DAW monitoring needs. There are higher powered models that you might want to check out, given the cabs you are using; the old 500 watter is a fine sounding boat anchor. The old Ashly FET amps are pretty good sounding as well, and are cheap. :cool:
  5. I agree the old ashleys are great, except for the boat anchor charateristic you mentioned. :)
    At home I just go straight into the board and let my non-fanned poweramp take care of that.
    Hello there me Ol' friend and relative PassinWind!
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Panaflo is one of our two sources of fans for the PLX, so there's a good chance that there's already one in there.