Fanned Fret Five String WISHBASS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barebones, Mar 17, 2006.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Alright people, I'll tell you what, I've found all the other Wishbass threads so amusing that I have to direct your attention to this:

Now, I've been pretty sympathetic to Wish's cause, and I know next to nothing about the whole fanned fret design thing, other than the basics, but given all the noted flaws on his past instruments I really wonder about this one. What do you guys think, can he pull off the fanned fret thing? 'Cause, you know, he says "the intonation is fine," which is very comforting...

Sorry. Sounds like I'm Wishbashing here, when actually I quite admire the guy's tenacity in the face of such harsh criticism. I also find his approach to be rather endearing. Heck, I'd probably have a bid in on the "turkey root" bass (see: if not for the fact that I'm really after a freaky fiver.

Still, this fiver with the fanned frets... I just don't know.

And speaking of the "turkey root" bass, I just have to say, I am convinced that we here at TalkBass are proving the the old adage that "there's no such thing as bad publicity." This particular bass has over 2500 hits on it at present! I don't think I've ever sold anything on Ebay that has attracted so much attention! I've suggested before, and am certain now, that even when TalkBassers are ripping on the guy they're actually helping him.

2. "Fanned Fret Five String WISHBASS!" = some of the scariest words I have ever read. Also that particular headstock is scarier than usual.

I actually like a few of Wish's designs but I would never trust his build quality nor would I trust that the crucial detalis would be correct.

3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Actually, that is one of his better ones. Owning 2 Dingwalls and being a fanned fret fan, I don't trust the bridge. That's a little bit important. The frets almost look ok. There is a special bridge that's more stable than a piece of bone or wood at an angle. I'd stay away, but I have to say it one of his better looking ones.
    As for the hits on the Roasted Turkey. I'm sure TB is not the only site monitoring him, and there are a lot of members so a lot of the hits are curiosity. If there were a bidding war, I'd be more impressed. I'm sure he's hoping for more than $500 for that one.
  4. gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Curiosity indeed.. I clicked because I wanted to see a fanned-fret fretless like it says in the auction title... apparently it ain't
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Oh, that's just so wrong. Heck, he has trouble with a fretless bass. :rollno:
  6. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well.. i must say, the construction is VERY good looking. i just CAN"T trust the fanned fretting. not at all. ive seen his regular frets. ive seen his fretlesses. sometimes the strings don't even TOUCH the board...

however, the body looks decent.
  7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

That's funny! Can't believe I didn't notice it myself. Kind of like the turkey bass being described as having a P-bass pickup, when the pics clearly show a J pup installed.

Ah... Wish!

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Actually...I kinda dig that one, at least visually. Fanned frets scare me, though.
  9. +1

I've seen far worse from Mr. Wish before... and trust me, that is NOT a compliment.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You gotta admire the nads on him. Hell, he sent a bass to BP magazine to be reviewed! I like his "F it!" attitude. I agree, this is one of his better looking ones.
  11. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    I wonder if he sent Ralph Novax the required fee.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That one looks pretty good. You gotta wonder if the frets are in the right place, though. I played one of his fretless models, and the side dots(actually nails) were uneven and off. If he can't get those in the right place, can he get fanned frets right?:eek:

Over 580 basses sold? Let's just guess that he averaged $250 per bass. I have seen some go for a lot more than that.

That is $145,000 gross. Now, I know parts and wood cost money, but his materials cost much less than your average low to mid priced builder.

He has found something he enjoys doing, and is making a little money at it!:cool:

580 basses? That is way more than a lot of the reputable boutique makers have totalled in their production.

Some day, it will be easier to find a used Wish than a lot of the $2000 - $4000 basses that people drool over!
  13. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You know, I thought of the same thing. It may be so far off it's not covered under the patent.
  14. And as much as I do have respect for Ralph Novax, he did manage to slip a 400-500 year old idea past the patent examiners.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Someone bid on that.

Notice that it states under shipping terms that he will not be held responsible for "shipping damage."
  16. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It's on the Roasted Turkey also. I guess that's his policy now.
  17. orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Looks just like a Fodera to me. I think he is just copying now.
  18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    "...The intonation is fine..." - these words are ominous for some reason as if he expects the question.
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just came across this bass on ebay, my first thoughts were definitely about the intonation, and the presence of frets of course.
  20. rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    @AJ Brown : nice observation mate. yeah , i saw the review of the WishBass on BP. imo, the reviewers were trying to be as polite as possible in saying that the wishbass just wasn't up there in the quality department. the bridge looks pretty scary to me.