Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fanned Fret Four Stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by breezy, Sep 13, 2005.

1. breezy

breezy

Aug 3, 2005
    I'm looking to add a new bass to my collection. Specifically I'm after a fanned-fret, four string. Active electronics preferable. If anyone has any links to any luthiers, I'd appreciate it! I already looked at Novax, but wondered if there were any other choices, apart from of course Conklin. I'm looking for anything up to a £1000, but would prefer to pay a little under. Oh, and yeah, british luthiers would be awesome to hear from to.

I'm just crap at diggin up these things :smug:

2. Fredeuh

Fredeuh

Aug 15, 2005
    South France
  3. Breezy-
    I think the Dingwall afterburner II basses are what your lookng for. They sound incredible, play like a dream and the 36.25" E string just kills. Here in the US, basscentral carries them (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/dingwall.shtml), not sure who carries them oversees but a quick email to Sheldon Dingwall will address that.
    Also be aware that the Dingwall ABI bass do not have active electronics, but if you handy you can retrofit your own pre- and save some money.
    If you want to see a bunch of pictures of Dingwall 4 bangers check out the bass collection thread at the dingwall online forum (http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2)

frank

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Both the Dingwall Afterburner 1 and Afterburner 2 would fit the bill. They may be pretty close to the only options...most fanned fret basses are above your listed price range, due to the small production quantities and relatively few builders making them.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah, the only Euro builder I know thats done one is JP, and its about 4x your limit.

6. breezy

breezy

Aug 3, 2005
    thanks guys. i checked out dingwall from the novax site. sure do look nice. thanks!