Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fanned Fret Pics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, seems there is a thread for every other brand of bass, or even color of bass, so here's one for you fanned fret players. Post us pics of your beauties!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Great looking bass. Sheldon sure knows how to build them. I've had 2 and now got one more on the way.
    Theres a handful of us here w/ multiscale basses. Dingwall and Conklin seem to represent the largest porportion of multiscaled basses. But if you do a search you''l find a few others also delving into the art.
    I'll have to look back into some old threads for pictures of my fretted and fretless multiscaled basses.
    frank
    PS.I'm digging the fact that theres a bunch of us in Texas w/ these basses, there even 2 of us in Houston.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks! Id love to see em, we are the minority for sure, and its curious there are so many in Texas as the only dealler I found here was Baron Martin in El Paso. Maybe I should talk to some local stores and see if any of them might be interested in dealling for Sheldon. Would be great to have a dealler close enough to go play all the toys!

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    aww c'mon, I know there are more of you out there :)

5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    okay, better pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best I can do with the light in my garage :meh:

yeah for fanned frets!

6. Click in my signature block.

Geoff

7. I always dig seeing your Pac 9, Jean. Very nice looking bass. :cool:

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    thanks bernie. I'll try to find a better picture of it.

9. the pics that dave took at the NR shows really show that bass well.

10. case in point: :smug:

[​IMG]

image copyright of unprounceable productions

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Here's one that the average Fender player can acquire:
    [​IMG]

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    A Mobius Megatar:
    [​IMG]

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    JP's got a fanned Zia listed as part of his next run.

14. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I can do that........

15. So that's what the guys in Meshuggah are using these days. :smug: :D

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

you have several arcades in your garage..... ahhhhhhhhh, that freakin sweet not to mention the bass. :)

17. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    I have some questions about these - what's the advantage in a bass with a fanned fret? and what is the difference in sound? and, is it hard to play like it looks?

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    On a bass with parallel frets, the intonation is never absolutely correct. Fanned frets go a LONG way to correct this. Strangest thing I ever heard of though, was in the last fanned fret topic where someone mentioned they had a fanned fretless. I never got that -- was it fan-lined? Whatever. Apparently they're not that hard, once again, according to the people who replied in the last one.

19. very cool pics, jean. that bass looks a little different everytime it's photographed.

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    A fanned fretless is desireable because of the varied scale length. Having a 37 or so low B is quite a sound on a fretless.