1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fanned fretness question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Ok, I hear/read all the praises of fanned frets and how much more ergonomic they are and how much easier they are to play than a "traditional" parallel fretted bass.

My question is, if fanned frets>all, why aren't there any fretlesses?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guess is that itd be difficult as hell to play, but Im sure someone will say 'not as difficult as one might think.'

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    ;)

4. I'm faily certain it is/was pattented once that wears out i bet well start to see more of them

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Years ago I had Bill Conklin make me an 8 string(F#-F) fretless one day he called and asked me if I would be interested in trying it out as a fanned fretless(he had never made a fanned fretless before and said that he had never seen one and was anxious to make one)so I agreed when I got the Bass it played great and sounded great as well but one thing I noticed about the fretless fanned fingerboard was that just like any fretless you have to put a emphasis on intonation,well on the fanned fretless the emphasis is even more vital because of the fingerboard being multi scaled.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, thats how i see it. I tihnk a lined fretless could be possible to play.. but an unlined would be a trick.

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Any pic Jaquo?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    No not at the moment but I'm sure there are a few floating around.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Dingwall has made a few fanned fretless basses. A fellow TB'er has one and I think there's a fretless SuperJ hanging in a store somewhere.

Ah, Bass Northwest has two:
    Afterburner II
    SuperJ

I'm pretty sure they'd have to be lined or they'd be hell!

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    lol, unlined fanned fretless

11. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Fanned-fretted fretless sounds funny on its own.

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, it's like saying you have a 22-fret fretless bass. No, you have a no-fret bass!

Now if you could have both in one bass... :bag:

;)

13. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    How could you even fan something that doesn't have frets? Am I missing a really obvious joke here?

14. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Well, these ones still have fret lines, and even without those, you can still have the variable scaled fretboard.. which would be a pain in the ass to play, from what I can tell.

15. I have a Dingwall fanned fretless...lined.
    Like Jauqo mentions, you gotta spend a lot of time w/ it up front to ensure your intonation is deadon. Because unlike on a parallel bass, on a fanned fretless the notes are not exactly side-by-side (assuming your intonated properly), the note on the neighboring string is a little sharp/flat in comparison, so it take some woodshedding. But honestly after a few months, I felt equally as comfortable on it as I do on a standard fretless.
    I suspect you can do an unlined fanned fretless, and be just as comfortable on it, but why
    frank

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I suppose you'd find the answer to that question by adding the reasons why someone would get an unlined fretless to the reasons why someone would get a fanned-fret bass.

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    it would be my guess that it must be really tricky to play.
    with fretted, your finger could be anywhere within the 2 frets and you get that note- so i think a minor adjustment and you can deal with fanned fretboards, and take advantage of the multi scale , which i think is the whole point of fanned fretboards- with fretless, you have to be dean on the lines, which to me sounds like a complete pain in the butt. I have not played one, so i am speculating here.

18. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think the fanning would make some stuff easier. I've always had trouble playing 4ths with two fingers, but with the offest from the fanning it seems like it would be easier.

19. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    F*nned unlined fretless are very scary terms put together. does any one have an unlined f*nned fretless?

20. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Your whole playing style would have to change I would have thought. The dexterity you've build up form a set of parallel frets would be all out with the skew of fanned frets.

In saying that, it looks like with practice it would be easier.

I'd like to try one.