1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fanned Frets - Nobody told me it was easier to play ?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MojoPenguin, Aug 25, 2016.

1. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Hey Gang :smug:

Just acquired a used Dingwall 4 Super J and I gotta say it's pretty awesome and I am stocked to see that it's actually easier to play for me...

No adaptation necessary for me and it looks strange to play only when you look at it in some parts, not when you play, as it's a dream to play actually...

But to me the main advantage is it's less strenuous for my hand and I don't get any cramps ou stiffness playing up or down the neck as it might happen on some other basses I own...

So asides from sounding totally wicked in a souped up J Bass way, it somehow "fits" my hand better ( I don't have big hands BTW )...

Curious to see if you guys and gals using fanned frets have found them to be less prone to hands stiffness or cramps or something ? ;)

Cheers !

ed morgan likes this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Id love to try one, have yet to see one in any local music store, ever. Might be a few years before the market demand trickles down to mom and pop guitar stores. Never seen one in GC either.

3. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I'd like to see your bass. Got any pics?

4. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Yep here it is in all its Instagram glory :cool:
    dingwall.jpg dingwall.jpg

2cooltoolz, wmmj, Gazman and 8 others like this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I find some things are made easier with the fan but some are made more difficult. If you make lots of chords up high or hit lots of octaves down low it requires some more effort, harmonics and tapping also takes a bit of getting used to. If you play oldschool bass the transition time is about 2 seconds though, the fan frets feel completely normal. The short scale fan definitely makes the transition even easier.

DrummerwStrings and MojoPenguin like this.
  6. Unless the fan is radical, it shouldn't take too much time to adapt. Didn't take me long to adapt to my 7 string fanned fret guitars. Although, I'll fully admit that I went to extreme with the fan on one and it's hard to play chords below the 3rd fret. That was my bad because I got a little too cocky and didn't do my research.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Some of what you are experiencing is the fact that while the E string is basically the same as a normal bass, the rest of the strings are effectively shorter than what you're used to, which makes a lot of the "reaches" easier to handle.

MojoPenguin likes this.
  8. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Yep that's what I think, also I'm liking the tension on the "e" string and I totally get why I would go Fanned frets for a 5er.

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Uh,no. I have a Brice Defiant 53437, and the extra fret spacing near the nut causes me to have to stretch more than on my other basses.

That said, it isn't as insane experience as I thought it would be! And that 37" scale length B is the bees knees!

MojoPenguin likes this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yep.
    It's a point a lot of people miss. Fanned frets let you keep your left wrist straighter at the nut and at the high end of the neck. Basic ergonomics.

wcriley and MojoPenguin like this.
  11. I remember the first time I played one of these and I was shocked on how easy it was to play. Slight adjustment above the 11th and 12th frett but otherwise pretty easy to play.

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I dint have dingwall, but bought an used ibby SRFF805 few weeks ago.

The ibby FF is easy to play, I just take few minutes to adapt it. Actually nothing problem with the multi scale. Otherwise, the narrow string spacing feel uncomfortable at first to me. I am More prefer 19mm spacing 5 string.

I also have no playing problem with switching between ibby FF vs P bass. And I dint play chord too.

No regret .

MojoPenguin likes this.
  13. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have owned only one, a super j, I did not have any issues adapting to the fanned frets neither.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    My jag isn't much different to play. it's only a 34/35" scale though.

I have to pay close attention to the Low F, Gb and I had to completey overhaul my palm muting techniques for the angled saddles.

I'd have a hard time with a Dingwall I think. Glad you took to yours so easy though.

15. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    It's much harder if you have a fanned fretless. ;^)

16. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    image.jpeg
    If it wasn't for fannned frets, I will need a bus to go from one side to the other. Larger the bass, more applicable the idea.

Btw, this was made by the amazing Alvaro Pacello in Uruguay.

17. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    What a gorgeous beast!

I'm a huge fan of fanned feet axes. Have dabbled w a few dingwalls and they are fast and smooth.

Let's hear it for progress!!

18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've only played a couple of Dingwalls and had no issues getting used to the fanned frets. One of these days, I'm going to pull the trigger on a Dingwall

19. shawn1288

shawn1288

Apr 20, 2013
    I have been waiting for a store near me to get some NG2S in stock, now that they are a dealer...until then I can lust after other basses out of my pay grade drool

20. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Now you've got me curious what playing a fretless model would be like. Anyone ever taken a "bass vacation"? Where you travel around to all the best places to try out basses in person and in the flesh? Still haven't found a travel agency who arranges that sort of tour.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021