Fanned frets = noise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by henryson, May 10, 2012.

1. Question for fanned-frets-players:
    when you vibrate or bend the string, do you get a scratching noise from the fret?
    I just assume that there would be noise, because the the angle between string and fret is not 90 degrees.
    At least when using roundwounds, I guess.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not at all.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    No.

4. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    BUT! is there a more dramatic change in pitch when you bend on strings, because of the fanned frets?

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There shouldn't be. All a bend does is pull the string to raise the pitch. There's no reason a fanned fret would cause you to pull the string farther.

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    No.

7. when bending the string over a fanned fret, the string gets tightened AND shorter,
    instead of JUST tightened, as over a straight fret.

So that should lead to the pitch being more raised on a fanned, I guess.

8. Xxyion

Xxyion

May 10, 2012
    You would have to bend the string REALLY far to notice any sort of difference. I dont notice any real difference when beding on my Dingwall compared to my Ibanez.

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    No. No different noise than a conventional fret. No different pitch characteristics bending, either, because the fanning on any particular fret is miniscule compared to the overall scale length.

I have both a fanned fret bass and guitar, and it goes for both. Both are primary instruments when I play electric bass or electric guitar.

Here's the bass:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/different-custom-p-style-bass-755914/

The guitar is the same way: square nut, fanning forwards, based on a Strat body, 2 HB pickups, and a 24.625/24.875 scale length.

10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    No such problems on a Dingwall Combustion.

11. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I have two Dingwall's and I do not have that problem nor heard of such a thing, I think you are overthinking the whole fanned fret thing.

12. The only noise I've heard coming from fan-fretted basses such as Dingwall,is all the noise from the rave reviews.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Actually...

On a fanned-fret bass when you are in the upper register the bending of notes is different than a single scale bass. When you bend a note upward you are not only increasing tension but you are also shortening the speaking length of the string so the pitch shift is more dramatic. When you bend downward you are lengthening the speaking length so the shift is less dramatic. This has been my experience anyway.

14. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Interesting question.
    Gives me another reason to want to own a fanned fret bass...:smug:

15. Youre probably right.

16. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's probably not something you wouldn't instantly notice when you're playing the bass. I'm also not much of a string bender...probably because in 35 years of playing, and 18 years of playing a Dingwall I've never owned or played a guitar and bending seems like it might be more of a "guitar thing" if you know what I mean. It's a subtle thing, but it's there.

17. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    Nope, just like a regular bass but better. I play a Dingwall ABZ5.

18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A lot depends on the angle of the particular fret and the direction you are bending it. So that answer is maybe in certain extreme spots there is a little difference. But not enough to be concerned about.

19. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Grab a note on your A string around the 16th fret or so. Bend that note up, then bend it down and listen to the difference and report back. Maybe it's more of a difference on my bass because I play with low tension strings and tune down 1/2 step.

20. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021