Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fanned Frets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Listen, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I know what they are, but what's the point, they look like a real hassle. Someone help me out, is it sound or just cool looking?:confused:

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok ill try to explain it the best i can.
    If you have a Fanned fret bass the bass will play more in tune.
    Why?? Even if you have a standard fretted bass intonated properly certain notes will be out of tune. This really only shows when you play with instruments such as pianos horns and anything with fixed tuning. If you played a fanned fret bass with a guitar then you and the guitarist would be out of tune on certain notes, even though it would be hardly noticeable.
    So basically the fanned frets cause the bass to play as closely as possible to perfect tuning. But it is really only really useful when playing with horns and pianos. If you play with only guitars then it is no where near as useful, unless you wanna tell the guitarist that HE is out of tune. :D

I hope that helps.

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    ohhhhh, I think I got it.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
  6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh, yeah that makes more sense. But you couldnt just increase the scale without fanning the frets if you did the intonation would be out. :D
    But yeah i agree totally with embellisher.

Proven wrong as usual.

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I would be more inclined to believe Ralph Novax over anyone here seeing as though he came up with the idea. The link embellisher posted explains it very well.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think you're talking about the Buzz Feiten system.

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, I think i am to.