Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fanned frets...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Fanned frets...

What is the widest spread that those of you with fanned frets would recommend...

I would like the smallest spread possible that can still justify having fanned frets be done...

I have heard that it is recommended to not exceed 2 1/2" for a spread but now I've heard other people say differently...

I would like to determine what is best for both my own physical limitations, and for the bass to truly benefit by using the technology ... and then compromise...

I heard that Dingwalls go to 37" on the bass side? What is the treble side scale length?

If you own a fanned fret instrument ... what are the bass and treble side scale lengths ... and if you had a second chance how would you choose that the bass and treble side scale lengths differ from how your instrument is built now?

I know, I know... I'm going to go type in keyword fanned frets now... :D

2. Hi Greg,
    The treble side of my Dingwall 6 string is 33.25", and the bass side is, as you stated, 37". So we have 3.75" of spread and I am totally comfortable with this.

I would choose the same spread again, set up in the same way.

2.5" might work, I really don't know. But as you increase the number of strings, the amount of spread you will need in order to benefit from the system will increase. I am sure that there would be some benefit at this spread.

Sheldon Dingwall may be the one to ask. He is a helpful man, and he has contributed here in the past. You might consider sending him an email asking about it. Novax themselves may be able to offer some advice.

Can't wait to see this Bee.

Geoff

3. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    I did just that! And Sheldon was VERY helpful!

As were you!

Super cool!

I am assuming that anything exceeding the 34" for my low F# on the Warrior 9's I currently own ... would be considered an improvement at least by way of science?

They sound fine, but it seems that everything I have read from Novax and learned form other players is that the lower the string, the longer a string can be will offer more treble qualities to the response of the lower frequencies?

I had heard from many about the dingwall's in the last week...

Folks who share my discomfort for wrist pain...

And they all unanimously state that the increased scale length on the dingwall's is unnoticeable as far as discomfort is concerned...

Therefore I just can't wait to bee playing a fanned fret instrument!

I will post PICS when my BEE is ready! Thanks Geoff!

I guess I am asking ... if I already dig the F# at 34" any thing more is just going to sound even better correct?

4. All things being equal, IMO, the longer string on such a low note will sound better. I prefer the lower strings to have the great bass response, but without a good deal of high end response mixed in, they sound strange compared to the other strings to me. Some people may dig this sound, I don't.

I am glad that you found my response helpful. I really can't wait to see this bass. I will probably be getting a neck thru bass (thinking 7+ strings) in the next year or so, so I will be interested to see this Bee.

Geoff

5. what are fanned frets??~??

6. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Impulsee, fanned frets are where one instrument feature two different scale lengths...

The bass side is usually longer, and the treble shorter than traditional basses...

The appearance looks like that of one of those little Asian fans...

It provides comfort as well as solving many other issues in bass design.

Above in Geoff's signature ... click on the link that he has about the Dingwall PICS and you will see a great example of fanned frets.