1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fans of David Nordschow: DNA Cabs are finally happening!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shastaband, Oct 5, 2010.

1. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Those of us who are fans of David Nordschow (founder of Eden Electronics) might be interested to know that the first DNA (David Nordschow Amplification) bass cabinets appear to be shipping. Bass Central now has them listed on their site for sale, and the DNA site has been revamped. Check them out at:

http://dnaamps.com/

2. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Has anybody tried these out yet? Any reviews or comparisons to other makes?

3. shastaband

Dec 12, 2006
    Well, David Nordschow designed (and had a hand in building, I think) some of the early SWR cabinets. He later designed the Eden "David" cabinets (David, the smaller cab to slay the "Goliath" cabinets of SWR), most notably the 410T (and then 410XLT, 112XLT, 210XST, etc.). He's using some of the same players who helped him develop the Eden line to test the DNA cabs, so I would imagine that the DNA cabs would sound similar to the best Eden designs, a modern hi-fi sound with a possibly a good bit of midrange forwardness and lots of low end ability. At least that's what I hope :)

4. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'm actually hoping they will sound different from the Edens... I got rid of my 210XLT because I didn't like that sound. I like the description of midrange forwardness etc, but with my basses and amps, the midrange emphasis was so strong and peaky that I could actually hear the pitch of the boosted frequency, almost like a stuck wah-wah pedal.

I've been lusting after a Berg NV610, and it would be nice if the DNA 410 could replace that.

5. shastaband

Dec 12, 2006
    I know what you mean. I sold my 212XLT for the same reason, but kept my 210XST, which has a much smoother midrange and gobs of low end (for a 210, that is). I'm hoping the DNS-410 is voiced more toward the XST sound. I'm also anxious to hear from someone who gets to play one. Beaver, are you out there reading this?

6. New cabs look pretty nice. I don't know about that attenuator screwed on to the outside of the grill (if I'm interpreting the picture correctly). One good ding and you are out of business.

Other than that, they look pretty nice.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I like it. I've never been a fan of having the attenuator at the back of the cab where you can't get at it during a gig.

It looks like it's flush with the grill, which itself is recessed slightly. That should be enough to keep it our of harms way.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    It looks flush, judging from the 360° photo.

Interested to hear these, though I have zero cab GAS since getting my Bergantinos.

9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    +1

Maybe I don't take to change well but it looks odd on the front.
    I love my Berg but I'm curious to hear it.

The 4X10 is 79 lbs (which means its could easily be 80 or more) sorry not to be negative but selling my look a lot more attractive if the cab was billed at 79 then say a low 80 something.

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    David is a very knowledgeable Guy and I feel safe in assuming the new DNA line will kick butt. He won't have USMUSICORP to screw it up for him either.

11. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    HUGE +1

oh yeah, and he is a pretty smart guy too...lol

12. 95svtcobra

95svtcobra

Sep 20, 2007
    Windham, NH
    There is a dealer in Dover, NH about an hour away. I think I'm going to call and see what he got shipped this week. Not sure I can part with the portability of my Epi UL-310, but I still love my Eden 2x10XLT (heavy SOB though).

Maybe I'll have something else to bring to the next GTG.... :)

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Note to all speaker manufacturers - if you must lie about specs, please don't lie about the ones that even a simpleton can check. Anyone with a set of scales is capable of casting dispersions over the honesty of all your other specs. Don't do it!

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I actually did like the sound of my old 210XLT cabs quite a bit, and was looking forward to Dave's return to the bass gear market, but I'll never go back to that kind of weight again, and even with the lower weights he has now, an 80 pound 410 and a 52 pound 210 is on the fairly heavy side these days. Pretty sure these won't be on my radar any time soon.

15. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    With the power handling and response curve of the new cabs I feel no need for a 610. The 410 should be called the Bejeezus model - it kicks in more dimensions than the 410XLT/410XST. Worth trying out, guys.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I find it funny that the majority of respondents to the quiz on the first page own at least four cabs. :D

It is just me, or do others think the handle placement on the cab would make it a lot harder to carry it? :meh:

17. As long as Maurice Fitzgerald is on the artist list, Ill more than likely avoid these cabs and this new company.....still cant overlook what he did to Brad Johnson

18. What would that be? You have got me curious!

19. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    IMHO

Attenuator should be on the back - It looks stupid in the front and, how often do you really need to adjust this anyway. Set it and forget it.

The new handle placements look OK for the cabs you can carry with 1 hand - anything up to the 2X10 but not for the 4X10.

/IMHO

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No Canadian dealers :( That DNS-115N looks interesting......

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021