Fans of GOOD film, speak here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I don't know about you, but ever since I started watching good film, every single movie that I have seen that was a blockbuster has been the same old crap over and over. So here is the page for people who refused to watch CatWomen! Who thought SpiderMan 2 was stupid!

Who here likes independant film, and or films that are really good? I'm a big fan of forigen film, since most of what comes out in america is just a waste of film.

I started by renting some movies I never heard of from a HollyWood video. Thanks to that, it's really opened my eyes to great film.

(japan)Samurai Fiction = amazing,
    (Japan)Kokijuro = amazing
    (Japan)7 Samurai = amazing
    (french)The Red Dwarf = amazing
    (japan) Suicide Club = Odd

And to many others to count

Now, their has been great works inside the U.S.A. I mean, with Kubrick and others, how can it not be?

2001 = amazing if you get the whole "aliens helping mankind evolve" thing

A clockwork orange = amazing

Requiem for a dream = amazing.

Good film is out there, it's just hard to find sometimes.

So who else refuses to pay 10 bucks for a overly hyped peice of crap?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me - but just because I rather play bass and put the money towards a new rig :p
    And anyway, I dont like going out and be in a place stuffed full of people... I hate being in crowds :spit:

But I do like "good novies" as you put it and dont like these new movies...
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Police Accademy IV Rocked Man!
  4. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England

Ya,,,, great piece of film there.....
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman the other night. It was *Awesome*

I also really enjoyed Hero, which was a big surprise cause I wasn't expecting anything from it.

I'd consider both to be GOOD films. I'll probably end up owning both of them on DVD, I don't usually buy movies so that's good enough for me.
  6. theres a movie with the talkign heads in it. the singer stars in it. i belive he wrote and dricted it but i mite be wrong. it takes plac ein this werid little town out west. very bizza and messed.
  7. here are some more good "non wollyhood" movies, or movies that are just a bit different, or just cool...

Office space
    Fight Club
    Pulp Fiction
    Lola Rennt (engl.=run lola run)
    The Beach (was hollywood, but cool movie)
    Dark City
    Suicide Club
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Taxi Driver
    Army of darkness (I like the engl. ending better)
    Brain Dead
  8. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Run Lola Run was a great film!
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'll pretty much watch anything by Woody Allen, Jim Jarmusch, Michael Mann, Steven Soderbergh, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher or Wes Anderson. Those are all Americans if I'm not mistaken. There's a lot of other good stuff that comes out of America. Of course I like lots of stuff from other non-Americans as well.

brad cook
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just a quick heads-up for good movie fans...I stopped at the big $5.50 DVD bin at Wal-Mart yesterday because something caught my eye.

They have "Ghost Dog" and "Sweet and Lowdown" for $5.50 each. They had a few others that weren't great movies but might be fun to own such as "Who's Harry Crumb?" and I almost bought "America's Sweethearts" for my wife (her tastes aren't as refined as my own) but then I remembered we can't afford such things. Hopefully if I ever find a job then Sweet and Lowdown will still be there. I don't own that one already.

brad cook
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ghost dog, west coast dog fo sho sho
  12. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Angel Heart was discontinued, and now I see it's at wal mart for only 5 bucks! A great deal for a very creepy movie.
  13. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Evil Dead.
    Any half decent Zombie Movie.
  14. The Commitments. My favourite non-HW film ever. Some of the jokes might go over yer heads though. :smug: :p

Also The Van and The Snapper. Very funny movies. The books are good too.
  15. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Evil dead -1
    Evil dead 1
    Evil dead 2
    Evil dead 3 army of darkness

Yes, there was a movie before evil dead 1, and yes, its great!

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I maintain that Phone Booth could've been an AWESOME movie had the main character been shot and it really was the pizza guy.

Fight Club
    Chasing Amy

That said, Spider-Man 2 was awesome. And I only paid $8 CAD for it.

17. Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Some of my favourites:

Dark City (1998 - Alex Proyas)
    Requiem For A Dream (2000 - Darren Aronofsky)
    Pi (1998 - Darren Aronofsky)
    Amadeus (1984 - Milos Forman)
    Immortal Beloved (1994 - Bernard Rose)
    Name Of The Rose (1986 - Jean-Jacques Annaud)
  18. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    If you can, I'd check out Donnie Darko, but make sure you get the DVD so you can watch with the commentary after. It really helps make sense of the movie for most people.
  19. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hrmmm..What's the name of this hidden gem and does it have Bruce Campbell??

20. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Bruce is in it... it looks much more B and any other movie... I’d say it looks more like home movie, but guy who was filming it was drunk...

The name of first 2 evil deads are the same name... if you want... when I find it I’ll let you have it next time I am in SF :D