fans on stage

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by johnvice, Dec 13, 2005.

1. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing...

I play in a classic rock bar band.Ocassionaly fans will get exicited and jump on stage during a peroformance. My feeling is that whomever is closest to the offender should tell him/her to "kindly get off the stage" (as 99% of the people will comply with that.)

The problem is I am the only one whoever ejects people from stage. The rest of the lads say they will and then don't.

I am curious as to the policy and pratcices that other TBers have with this.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When we first started touring, we'd get the "I'm gonna rip my top off!" girl every other show or so. It was cute at first, but now we stop them in their tracks. The kinds of gigs we play usually has security, so that helps alot, but fans on stage tend to bother me a little.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm nowhere in the same league as WoodChuck, but while we're playing, we ask them politely to step down and we'll invite them up during one of our "fan participation" segments...that helps keep it friendly.
  4. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I was working with a band where drunks jumping on stage was a big problem but i was the only one saying anything about one else saw the issue until a a drunk girl knocked over the guitar player/bandleaders $4,000 prs and fell into the drummers brand new yamaha custom recording kit,then they could see what i had been talking about for some reason :meh:
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Unfortunately, that's what it takes sometimes.
  6. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I wish we had girls ripping their tops off and fans jumping on the stage during our performances! I guess the music scene here is not the same, or the people are just harder to impress :meh:

edit - unless the fans coming up on stage are insanely drunk and clumsy, which would result in them damaging lots of expensive gear and possibly vomiting all over the equipment... :eek: but if its just some kids who wanna go for a stage dive, hell go for it!
  7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Hey, your from Windsor, Ontario; border towns are usually wild places !

I live in Ontario too. About 10 years ago it became legal for woemn to bare their breasts in public. So when a girl is acting liek she is going to take her top off, I say into my mic "go ahead, baby. It's legal now."
  8. People sometimes get on stage during our shows but they have enough sense to get off before long. Our vocalist will often spend entire shows out with the audience, which brings the stage to them in a way and gives them a chance to interact.
  9. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I don't tolerate it, regardless if it is a hottie or some dude. Odds are they don't have the coin to replace anything they break up there.

10. As long as they don't inerfere with the band and equipment, I wouldn't mind.
    I was at a Testament concert (SanFran metal band, AWESOME show) in October. Before one song, appropriately titled "Over The Wall", the lead singer made a little speach, something like "The security here said they don't want anyone on stage, and they want the pits kept as calm as possible. But we haven't been to Long Island in a few years, so I wanna see you guys go nuts on this one". He actually encouraged stage-diving. The security looked around uneasily, and the crowd went completely insane during the song. Me and 2 of my friends got onstage. 1 of them made it up there like 3 times. More then a few people took pretty nasty falls off the stage too. Either they were too big to catch, or that chunk of the audience wasn't paying attention, but they ended up on the floor.
    After the song, the singer apologized to the security and laughed his ass off.

But that's punishment enough IMO. If you can get onstage, run around without breaking anything or pissing off the band, then jump off unharmed, I say go for it. If you bust you ass and land on somebody, sucks for you.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Geez, so what if someone wants to hop onstage and show you their boobies? Some of you people seem to forget you're in the entertainment business. As long as they're not flailing around breaking stuff, I don't see why you'd get so worked up about it. Bouncing is best left to the bouncers.

On the other hand, I did have a drunk broad hit me in the eye with a mic when she fell into my mic stand, so obviously you can't just let anyone up there, but jeez, someone who wants to get onstage and dance with you is not a big deal. It IS called "entertainment" for a reason. Nobody wants to go see a band full of bouncers. That's why you're onstage and the bouncers are in the crowd.
  12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I know I'm just bitching, but I'd just be happy to have people IN FRONT of the stage when my band plays at this point.... (unestablished band in tiny music scene is crap place to be)
  13. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I got hit in the eye by a piece of ice during a show in winona mn by a girl who got mad because we wouldn't let her get on stage"because it's my birthday",we told the bouncers not to let anybody get on stage because with all the gear it was very tight up there.she grabbed a handfull of ice and threw it at us and hit me in the eye.they had some off-duty cop's working there and she got arrested real fast,some way to spend your birthday huh?(as a side note THE CLUB had her arrested not me or the band,i wasn't seriously hurt just pissed off)
  14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I always let the atmosphere of the club decide whether I'll let anyone be up on stage with us.

In a restaraunt with people still eating dinner, usually no, but later on at night I really enjoy having people come up and sing along.

The place in this pic was definitely the time to have them up there and a one off gig turned into an "any time you guys are in town" joint for us!

Never got quite as wild as that one time, but they always talk about it and definitely remember us!

Attached Files:

15. Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Yeah, we try not to let drunk onstage, but it's hard to play without our drummer *rimshot*

No, I don't have a band :scowl:

One time at punk gig the band was in audience (minus the drummer) and the audience was on stage. That was nice. For some reason.

And Testament.. They played at ProvinssiRock few years ago. My friend was a bouncer there (she is 160cm little girl) when Testament played. The singer told the audience to wreck the place and stagedive. All my friend could hear from the walkie-talkie was "Oh SH!T!" and then they were throwing audience left and right. My friend wasn't on the pressure-walls fortunately. After the gig the band packed up and left ASAP. That is a sh!t thing to do, no matter how rock and punk they want to be. It's bloody hard to convince the paying customers to believe that the bouncers aren't there to ruin their fun but to take care that nothing bad happens.
  16. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    My old band had someone hop on stage at the end of the first song at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA. He started yelling into my microphone, and I watched the monitor guy take him down in a flying tackle right in front of me. Problem was, the guy still had the mic! Took the monitor guy another couple of seconds to pry the thing out of the drunk guy's hands.

The funniest thing was listening back to the tape of that night - you could tell where the guy got tackled, then kept yelling, then got cut off...

The band did let a bunch of girls get up on stage with us many years later at Harper's Ferry for an encore, even though by that point there were two bassists, two guitarists, keys, drums and percussion! Bigger stage though, and different monitor guy.
  17. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Windsor is alright, not as wild as people imagine it to be LOL, yes indeed bearing breasts is legal in Ontario ;) Although I have not seen any women nonchalantly walk around with their tops off in the summer..yet haha.

If any girls show some boobies at an upcoming show I will know just what to say!
  18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    We had a drunken lush come on stage with us last week. She insisted in screaming in the guitar player's mic. When he turned off the volume, she headed over to grab mine. I screamed a few choice expletives at her, so she stumbled off the stage, where she proceeded to sit in a chair in the corner and have two more glasses of wine, the second of which she spilled all over herself upon passing out, and dropping the glass on the floor, causing a sticky mess of broken glass & wine. Nothing worse than a fat, middled aged, sloppy drunk woman. Very annoying.

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

A little off topic, but it's such a bummer how some of the nicest people in the audience can become the biggest asses after a few hours of boozing it up. :(