1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fantastic '51 style pickup from Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by richnota, Feb 22, 2008.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Loaded this "single coil" style pickup into my Korina/Bubinga fretless "51"

The pickup from Nordstrand is actually a split humbucker. Sounds warm and rich. Great mids....no noise.

I also installed the same pickup in my MIJ Fender '51 RI and it really brought out far more tone from the bass. In my opinion, better sound than the Seymour Duncan Hot i'd previously installed.

51tikibass.

(the Red DR strings sound much "hotter":ninja:

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    cool, thanks for the heads up. BTW, if you want a black control plate to match the rest of your HW, i've seen one for the tele at guitarpartsresource.com. only place i've seen them in black.

JR

3. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Brilliant! I've been looking for one. Ordered it....a great deal> thanks JGR

4. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    cool! :) post another pic when it's all done!

love the 51 BTW - i think it will be my next build.

JR

5. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    hey, where did you get the pickup from? i don't see it listed on their website.

JR

6. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I sent Nordstrand a note to see if they'd do a custom. To my surprise they're already producing them but havent gotten around to putting them on the website.

I ordered it from Brian at BestBassGear.com. He may actually have them in stock.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow that's cool
    Carey is putting out great product after great product

8. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    That is one beautiful bass, would love to get some info on it. Who's the builder? What kind of neck shape does it have? How much does it weigh? Does it have body contours? Any pics of the backside would be appreciated.

The timing of your thread is perfect; I recently got a Sting and am interested in pickup alternatives (mine currently has a Duncan SCPB2). Does the Nordie humbucker retain the openess and highs of a single coil? Are the mids still somwhat recessed? Not sure how much the mids can be brought forward by a pickup swap, or if it is what it is, given the pickup placement. How's the output level, fairly hot? I don't require as much output as the SCPB2 puts out, it overdrives the input of my FX-1 a bit too easily.

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I agree, it looks very intersting!

10. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    IMO the Nordstrand has a very balanced sound (low-mid-high). Good clarity up top and good output albiet not super-hot. I believe he also makes a non-humbucker version.

The bass is a Warmoth that I built myself as a winter project. It was fun to do the Tung Oil finish (lots of threads on it in the luthiers section).

The neck isnt as chunky as my '51 RI but retains a nice c profile. The body is a big slab of Korina with no contours (though I believe Warmouth may offer that option).

The bass is pretty heavy (to be expected with that thick body) but hangs well on the strap.

The bubinga neck/fingerboard makes for a nice fretless sound and feel.