Fantastic Guitar Center Experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by register2, Feb 11, 2009.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I am just writing to describe the excellent customer service I got from Guitar Center in Albany. I am a Brooklyn resident who was hell-bent on getting one of the 08 Fender MIA Jazz basses at the blowout price, and I made a lot of phone calls to track one down. I ended up dealing with someone at Guitar Center Albany who was a true pleasure to work with, and went way out of his way to get a hold of one of these basses for me. I had a lot of questions, had to put the bass on layaway for a bit and was generally on the phone with him a couple of times a week and this person was always friendly, upbeat, knowledgeable and dependable. I ended up talking with a sales manager at the store in Syracuse who was involved in helping me out with this, and he was similarly great to deal with. Anyway, long story still fairly long, the bass arrived today and it is just swell. I was bracing myself for dead tone, a warped neck, screwy frets or at the very least terrible action, but it was perfect. It looked like they set it up wonderfully, and it is extremely resonant and light.

Just wanted to praise a situation where a whole lot of people did a really great job for not a lot of reward (I am pretty sure they made zero profit by getting this bass to me). I should also mention that I called the manager of the person who helped me and he was extremely friendly too.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Glad you had a great experience! I think it really helps when you already know exactly what you're looking for too

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    It does happen on occasion. I actually have a pretty good rapport with the main guys at my local G.C.

So what model and color combination did you get? You know the rules: No pics - no bass!

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm near 3 GC's. Two of them I go to regularly, and know the staff there. They also know me. Makes for an easy relationship, everytime.

5. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I THOUGHT I had a great GC experience last time I was in there.. they were all helpful and said they'd be calling a manufacturer as soon as they opened and would immediately call me with the answers to my questions. I thought, THAT is some damn good customer service :] well, that was a almost 2 weeks ago and they never called

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Of the half dozen GCs I've been to I can't say I've had a bad experience. I know it gets a bad rap but I really can't see why.

Also, congrats on the buy. How ya liking it so far?

7. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Same here. GCs are like Harley Dealers. You just need to know which to frequent and which to avoid.

8. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    i live near albany,thats the same one i go to!! :)
    yeah they are pretty nice people there actually.they are always super friendly.

9. the one i go to, i've never had problems. the key is to do your research, look at what models are currently available, look at prices elsewhere, etc.

i always make a point to go in there like i have a purpose, and not just stand there ogling every Fender on the wall.

10. In vegas here, we have 1. Maybe 2 guys in there part time who knows what there doing. The rest are just a few 20 year olds who *think* they can play guitar, but anything for bass, the nighttime manager is the guy to get.

11. Dude, you've been a member since Nov. 2003, no pics, no bass. Where is your bass? We need to see some pics.:eyebrow:

You had a nice experience with GC, lots of people do. They wouldn't be in business if they screwed everybody around. Most of the time I've ever purchased something from GC, they've always been helpful and courteous. Good for you, now where's all that JAZZ!!!!:ninja:

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I picked up a GK 700RB-II my last time into Guitar Center and the two guys that helped me were pretty cool. They didn't have to do a whole lot, but it doesn't take long to be a jerk :) Props to them!

13. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    GC is like any other store....it really depends on the salesperson you're dealing with and if they have good customer service skills and information on the products they're selling.

I've had mixed experiences with the 4 GC's in the NYC / LI area.

Sam Ash on the other hand.....utter shyte. I can honestly say I've never walked out of that store thinking "Wow, what a pleasant shopping experience"

It was more like "Where is the cliff, and how do I throw you off of it"

14. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm glad to hear so many other people have had good experiences too. A lot of times folks seem to get a little too much glee from nitpicking about customer service at Guitar Center and I just wanted to share a good experience with them. At the same time I can totally understand venting about a bad experience too! In any case, I'll put a picture up tonight - it's a black and maple jazz bass with the Z7 serial number.

15. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    well... I just had another GC experience just a few minutes ago.. I called the store in charleston, SC about a used bass... and i have to say the guy on the phone was VERY cool, and very polite and professional. While he was getting the bass down so he could have right in front of him in case I had any questions he didnt already know the answer to, someone else got on the phone and asked if I needed help. I told him that someone was already helping me with a used bass, and he asked if I needed anything else while I was waiting. THAT is service. They also promised me pics and a shipping quote by the end of the day.. We'll have to see, but so far, I'd give that particular store a definite thumbs up.

16. I agree with the comment that it depends on the person you're working with.

There is a GC in my neck of the woods who has a FANTASTIC assitant manager who also happens to be a bass player. He knows his stuff, makes great recommendations, and generally takes care of me.

It really depends on who you end up dealing with.

17. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Who do you deal with on durango?

18. GC is my main supplier and I've been happy with everyone I've dealt with. Sherman Oaks store gets big kudos from me.

19. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    I really have nothing bad to say about the people in any of the GC's I've been in. They've always tried to be friendly, helpful and a lot of them seem pretty well clued in. With that said, despite being in many of them many times - I've never spent more than $30 on any purchase. I ususally find the "deals" to be nothing to write home about, the selection pretty common and relatively uninteresting, and the environment pretty sterile and corporate. On the other hand I have a very interesting independent in town that is a pretty big volume store, has some oustanding deals on occasion and will negotiate - and the shopping experience is just tons more satisfying. I've bought at least 1 new quality US instrument there (Guild or Gibson) each of the last 5 years.

Doesn't mean GC is bad, just relatively uninspiring to me.

20. +1. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021