Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fantasy NHL, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Lee (QSC), Aug 19, 2005.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hockey is back with us!

I'm thinking of forming a TalkBass-only fantasy league on Yahoo. Anyone interested? Please reply here in the thread, via PM, or by e-mail to bob_lee@qscaudio.com.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    For anyone interested:

In order to join the league, go to http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/register/tos?league_id=2594&password=gordiehowe.

Or go to http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/ and click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter this League ID# and password--League ID#: 2594; Password: gordiehowe

After you join, feel free to start pre-ranking players for the pre-season draft. It'll be an autopick draft, where each team takes a turn picking a player, and you get the highest-ranked player available according to your own or Yahoo's default rankings. Rounds of picks continue until all the roster spots are filled.

Oh, and it's free. ;)

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Fighting Fish are rearing to go...

When's the Draft deadline?

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    The season starts on October 5, IIRC, so we have just over a month to gather additional players, then we'll do a draft.

6. Oh boy, this ought to interesting... With the rule changes and the long break anyone's got a chance to break out...

I don't know why they hate goalies! Even my goalie pads are too big, and they're legal in my highschool association because they're the standard size. :p

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Paul, it would be really cool to have a team called The Clash! ;)

8. If you insist! :)

In retrospect, I should have gone with your trend and been the Nordiques or the Cougars, or the Rockies, or the Americans, etc.

God, it feels great to have fantasy hockey back. I used to play on The Sporting News, I think.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    WHAT? HELL YEAH!!!!!

10. I think most of my high rankings are either from Detroit or Buffalo, or have played there in the past.

I guess I haven't been keeping up with all of the transactions... I was surprised more than a couple of times.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    You can change your team name, if you want.

As a longtime fan of the Clash, I was just commenting on your TB name. ;)

12. Hmmm, a mix of the two might be cool. It is a musical league of extraordinary gentlemen after all.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So besically i put a list of players i want and if they are avelible it will pick them once my turn comes?

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yes. Put the players you want the most at the top of your list; when you turn comes, the highest ranked player available will be yours. Any players that you don't rank yourself will be assigned Yahoo's default rankings.

If you and the other participants are interested, we can decide to choose a date and time for a live draft instead of an autopick. With a live draft, you can log in and make your choice with each turn, or just let it choose your players based on your rankings as in the autopick. You can also log in and out of the live draft as needed, and the automation would take over when you're away.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am ok either way:)

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm in....

Dibs on Crosby.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    BTW after the draft... will we be able to repeak people? ie drop some guys and retake guys that were not taken by anyone?

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yes. Unpicked players are "free agents," and you can pick from them to replace players you drop from your roster or move to the disabled list.

19. Courgars have now joined the league... :)

Forgive me if I am slow to catch on... I've pretty much been out of hockey circles since my team disbanded at the end of 2002. But we'll see how it goes :)