Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

* **fantasy** *

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 2, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Does anyone else ever fantasize about walking into a flea market and seeing an old beat up fretless jazzbass with no pickguard selling for $30 because it's a worthless piece of garbage that the vendor bought off of a crackhead for $10 in NYC years ago?!?

2. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    I can't say I have! I have fantasied about other things but they weren't about bass guitars!!!:D

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yes, but mine is a yard sale dream where some old couple has an old tween bass case leaning against their steps. i open the case and see an old mint sunburst jazz bass inside. i ask how much and the old lady tells me about buying it for her son in 1965 as a gift and he never touched it. She says $50 and I quietly pull $50 out, pay her, put the case in my car and drive away with weak knees. ;)

4. Or you find a well worn sunburst 62 Pbass with a rosewood board. You take it home and remove the neck to verify the date and you find the word "funk" carved into the heel!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The temptation would be very very strong.

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Oh yeah, that one too.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...So, you'd enjoy having a stolen bass?

Will C.:cool:

8. Killjoy!
    In case you didn't know, BP has a standing offer of a free '62 reissue Jazz for anyone that turns in The Funk Machine. So, I'd turn it in. Or give it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

9. Actually my point was how important of a find it would be. I'd definitely return it to Jamerson's family as I would return Jaco's jazz bass to his family. I would however be happy to have found the "Holy Grail" of basses.

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I do know, although I don't believe everything I read on BP:rolleyes:

I think turning it in would be the right thing to do. Incidentally, Jeff Berlin's Roddy Piper bass is also floating around in the world. I don't know if he wants it back, but who knows, maybe someone will come across it someday. If I found Jamerson's bass, I'd give it back to the Jamerson family, who are its rightful owners.

11. Yeah, I know.. it's all lies.. I'm so naive. :rolleyes:

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You said that, not I.;)

13. breaks my heart to think that these instruments might have been broken down and sold as parts years ago...

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sounds like the same type of peeps that would buy a garage sale painting, take it home to find a lost Picasso behind it and donate it to the museum - all for the $25 you paid for it and a couple of free tickets to look at it once-in-a-while.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd give 'em back too, but first I'd play them and take pictures!

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hmmmm.... give em back? ....... I don't know....

that's always the 2nd part of this fantasy for me. what would I then do?

considering there's gotta be at least one rich guy or girl out there who'd be willing to drop HUGE sums of money on one of those basses - I'd don't know if I'd be as nice a guy as some of you. Or perhaps I'm just more honest :D.

ethically, my conscience would be clean if I bought and resold the bass. If I didn't it might have otherwise wound up in some other non-players hands and eventually in the garbage. it would be I who saved the piece of history. I'd feel entitled to HUGE sums of money. my only problem would be putting it on the market without a thousand lawsuits or the police to follow. don't quite know yet how I would actually sell it.

i have other fantasies too but would never want Britney Spears to show up together with my name in a search.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Once I picked up a Crackhead for $30 bucks in NYC who was really worth $10...That's another story.