Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fantomas - Suspended Animation

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Fantomas fans, it's good if you haven't heard it yet.

edit: represents the live show better than their other work, IMO.

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'm a tomahawk fan, will this medicine be right for me?

oh ho, the album ends on 4/20... that's funny because... you know... you smoke pot on 4/20 and it's like some inside joke no one gets. hehe hee

3. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Fantomas might not be up your alley if you like tomahawk. If you like The Mr Bungle album Disco Volante, or just have a craving for weird stuff, then you might like fantomas.

I'll +1 on blisshead's comment.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree, I like Tomahawk too, but this album is something else entireley.

It does not end on 4/20, btw.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I heard it was more like the first album in the sense that it's "original songs instead of covers/one long track." So that's a plus. Is it more diverse than the first album. The first one did have it's moments, but they didn't fully cover as much space as I feel they should have... if that makes any sense.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I would say yes, but with this band it's an extremely subjective yes, instead of the regular subjective yes.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I go either way with Patton's later stuff. I mean, much of his solo career (under the name Mike Patton) well... frankly it kinda sucks. Adult themes had it's moments. But also, w/Fantomas, the last album, that was one track, was... well, boring. It's funny, because my Patton obsessed friend, well I could tell he didn't like it. But he pretends like he does. But this one sounds like it has promise.

8. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I heard one of the songs off of Suspended Animation. I need to get that album.
    I actually really liked the last Fantomas, but I need to be in the mood for it. I know they tried to go for a whole medical feel on that one and it really worked well.
    I think this new one is based on Cartoons?
    I wish Fantomas were more of a democratic process considering the great musicianship in that band. I want to use Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsante as exhibit A.

9. Suspended animation is IMO thier best one yet. It sort of combines all the best elements from their other three albums (syncopation, melody, creepiness). Trevor's bass still isn't in the mix enough for my liking, but better too little than too much i suppose. If you get a chance, go see them before this tour ends. Trevor's trio is opening for them and they are equally brilliant (Mary Halvorson is on guitar and Ches Smith is on drums.... 'nuff said). I was lucky enough to see them on the 8th and they played pretty much the highlights from all of their albums mushed into one cohesive "song". Patton is a great singer, but it kind of annoys me the way that he feels the need to stop a song and restart it if it isn't going well. He did that when i saw him with tomahawk and at the fantomas show. Oh well... so yeah, buy the album. buy all their albums

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It's the same here. I don't listen to the last 20 minutes anymore, though.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh, and does he sing on this? Because it sees that there is only so much "Pula too pow" he can do without repeating himself. I think I get bored with the first album.

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Oh I see. Okay, I just saw the track listing on amazon, they stop at 4/20. But there's a link for the full 30 tracks right under that. Sorry to obfusicate the issue.

13. Just saw Fantomas, The Locust, and Trio Convulsant at the Roxy in Boston a few nights ago. Wowwee wow wow. Pretty awesome considering that Trevor Dunn is one of my favorite bassists, and I got to see him play in two bands in the same show. Fantomas' live production is amazing.