Farewell, Concorde

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Oct 24, 2003.

1. They shouldn't have grounded it in my opinion.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It was too cool looking to be grounded.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Goodbye giant cool plane!
  4. That really sucks. I wanted to ride in one of those!:bawl:
  5. I know it sounds kinds dumb, but I'm very emotionally attached to this plane. Living so close to the airport, I could hear it every time it took off and landed. If I walked to my corner, I could see it.

Since it began flying into New York, it would tell you the time if you left your watch home. Every Saturday & Sunday during the summers at the beach, you'd know it was about 1:05 pm, because a Concorde would take off and begin its long, lazy circling climb as it left New York's airspace.

Loud. I mean, loud. You slept before and after it passed overhead, not while it was overhead. :)

Then, there was this very nice, old Frenchwoman I used to work with during the 80s. If you called Air France, you could get a recording that would give you the arrivals and departures for the Concorde flights of that day. They'd come on first in English, then in French. Being the rodent that I was, (still am) I would call the number, listen to the schedules in English, and then transfer the call to my French speaking coworker just as they came on in French. I did this for a few weeks with no feedback at all.

Mike would never do something like that.:rolleyes:

Then, one day we were just talking in the lunchroom, and in passing she mentioned that Air France must be trying to get her to fly on the Concorde. In her heavy French accent she said, " I don't know why they are calling me, I have no money to fly on this plane."

I exploded into laughter. Her eyes then opened as wide as a little kid's on Christmas morning as she exclaimed, " OH, YOU DO THIS TO ME!!! We both laughed for what seemed like an hour. I miss her.

The final thing I'll miss: Again, in the 80s, I forget if it was British Airways or Air France, but for a few years on New Year's Eve, you could get on the Concorde at 11:30 pm, fly over the ocean in a big circle for a little over an hour, and you'd be back on the ground by 1:00 am. They'd give you a champagne and caviar toast at midnight, and all for $300. Just so you could say you flew on the Concorde.

Did I ever do it?

No. :(

I will miss this plane. C'est manifique.

Sorry for the rant.
    Thanks for listening.

6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i live in Middlesex, not by heathrow though.
    Two more miles and i'de be in actual london.
  7. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I live in the landing path for the concorde. It was pretty quiet overhead goin' in but the ground would shake when it took off and I'm 7 or 8 miles from the airport.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike -

I'm with you, I'm pretty bummed too, a real shame that it is going to "die" this sorry death. Too beautiful and wonderful of a machine to meet such an ignominous end. :bawl:

I wish I'd known about the $300 New Year's Eve flights, I would have made the trip up to NYC just for that....

9. Die a sorry death? Ignominious end? Didn't you see the thousands of people welcome it into Heathrow on its last flight? Also, since it was announced Concorde was to be taken out of action, every seat on every flight has been taken! Grounding it was probably the best business decision that could have been made.
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm not looking at this as a "business decision", I'm speaking of the fact that some creations - living creatures or machines - are not meant to sit still. And yes, there was a public outpouring of respect at it's end. Was it a useful, "responsible business" tool? No.

However, the Concorde belongs in the air, not on the ground. It is a machine that is just not in the proper element sitting still on the ground. I feel the same about the USAF's SR-71 Blackbird - it NEEDS to fly, and it is a travesty that either of these beautiful, artistic machines is kept from doing with they do best: Fly.

Maybe I'm crazy....it is just a machine, right? :meh:

But, I know how I feel, it is a beautiful machine, and it is sad - to me - that such an incredibly wonderful creation not be allowed to do its "thing". It is an emotional response, not an intellectual one.

11. buzzsaww

Nov 14, 2003
    Denvuh! Colorado
    I thought the SR71's are being operated by NASA now. No?
  12. Not sure. The entire SR-71 fleet was grounded a while ago in favour of satellite reconaissance. Congress said each flight was too costly, and axed funding for, "The Blackbird." (hello Will :D )

That plane was so far ahead of its time. Designer Kelly Johnson also designed the P-38 Lightning. That guy was a genius.

13. It seems a shame that Sir Richard Branson wasnted to try to take over the running of the aircraft but wasn't given the chance. All of the reasons given were cost related. If it was a gamble from him - why did anyone care if he lost money????

I just think it was a shame that he wasn't given the chance to keep them flying!
  14. buzzsaww

Nov 14, 2003
    Denvuh! Colorado
    cool site, i haven't been to the air and space museum in years. i'll have to get back there again.

15. and it seemed like he was still trying to get control over the bird. hope it works for him. it's a classic plane!

ah, and michael, i flew right over yer head today!