1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Farmville, Virginia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linnin, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Longwood University. I remember when it was a private woman's school. Longwood College. Lovely small southern town. Haven't been there in 20 years or more. Interesting choice for the location of the Vice Presidential Debate.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

not-going-in-there-cute-pictures.

Nope, I'm not going there...

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    So it's a place where they used to farm wood?

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I had a terrible gig there at Hampton Sidney College once, singer got sick and was losing his voice, long freaking ride back to Harrisonburg.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Almost. It's an old joke that Longwood ladies liked long wood. I've enjoyed their company a time or two.

47th Street likes this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't think of Virginia as the south.

-Mike

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Well you should as it most certainly is! It lies due south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Richmond, Virginia being the Capitol of the Confederate States of America until the very end of the war when the capitol was moved to Danville, Virginia.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    After it was moved from Montgomery Amabala.

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

If you work for the Secret Service and you assigned to protect the vice president does that make you a member of the vice squad?

47th Street and Linnin like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It used to be until Washington started spreading.....as it always does.

The capital of the confederacy was in Virginia. So there's that.

Seriously though it has split into the DC metro area (and surrounding areas) and everything else. Two Virginias.

47th Street likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well played. If so, do they ghetto dress like this?
    2016-Feb24-MiamiVice-Response-1114x891-JW.

slobake likes this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Three. Don't forget Wild & Wonderful West Virginia. Four if you include what used to be Kentucky County, Virginia. Kentucky gained statehood in 1792.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Really? Can you elucidate a bit?

14. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Well parts of Virginia are very southern, Southwest Va, Southside, Central, the rural parts in general. Lots of Confederate flags still around. Pretty easy to find a good biscuit or decent bar b q. Not the best target market for a gypsy swing band. But Richmond is very progressive as is Tidewater. Northern Virginia is full of people with different geographical or ethnic backgrounds. My daughter lives in Arlington across the river from the District and it is as cosmopolitan as anywhere in the country. And all the growth is in NoVa, Richmond, Tidewater so it is getting less Southern all the time.

HolmeBass likes this.
  15. There was a show broadcasted from there last night. Odd, because I thought it was an app for losers to feed animals and water crops on their phone.

What a great show! They took a clown (probably one of the creepy ones that have been on the news lately) and removed his makeup, then stuck him at a table to argue with everyone's first gay crush, Race Bannon (who really hasn't aged well- very wooden).

Then The Flash came on and I got lost in Iris's shirt.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes. Sure.
    I have been to Virginia just a few times in my life. It was the Arlington area. So for me, when I think of Virginia, I think of Washington DC, the FBI, the Pentagon, freeways, big cities, traffic, and so on.
    I don't associate those things with the southeastern USA, which I have been to many more times than I have been to Virginia.
    Yes, I realize the southeastern USA has big cities, traffic, and freeways, but that's not what I meant.

-Mike

17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Reasonable. Then go further south in Virginia. If you get to the Roanoke area, you'll understand. I agree that part of Virginia is no longer really Virginia.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I want to go to Richmond. I've liked the university there since I was much younger.
    Have you been up that way? If so, how does it compare to the Virginia I know?

-Mike

19. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I like all parts of Virginia, but it has been many years since I've been there. I do like Richmond. I played some gigs in Lynchburg, not far from Richmond, in the 70s.

20. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    Born and raised in Va... Arlington to be exact. Used to be if you were 30 to 40 mins west of Arlington, you were in the Country. Today, 2 hours outside of DC is probably considered "Close In". When I bought my house, 20 years ago, the main road was 2 lanes... 1 each direction. Today, it's a 4 lane highway. What used to be woods, are now town houses and condos. But you know what... if you venture to far outside of the city, you can still run into guys like this:

upload_2016-10-5_13-6-1.

HolmeBass, Immigrant and GregC like this.