Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fart Cans & Sport Compact Cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BlackNeckJspl, Feb 16, 2003.

1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana

I was at the parts store the other day and was able to inspect one of these “cat back or full header systems”! What a marvel of modern technology a full header exhaust system compacted to about 8” in length.
    :eek: Who would of guessed a chromed small Coffee Can with a resonator would have such a performance impact on sport compact cars? With the convenient one screw universal hookup to the stock exhaust! You get all this for a little over $20. :D It is impossible not to see how much more of a performance boost this is than the costly replacing the old 2’ single exhaust with restrictive muffler common on most older US V8 cars with 2.25/2.5 Duel exhaust with free flowing glass packs or turbo mufflers! :confused: While I successfully resisted the temptation to buy one for our Bronco II right then and there, I saw the ultimate in Sport Compact exhaust upgrades, a fart can with speed enhancing LEDs inside it!!! My god the performance applications are endless. No wonder these annoying sounding things are turning up everywhere on “Sport Compact Cars” like the geo metro and Ares K car. I guess they need those huge wings to keep them on the ground with such unleashed performance!!! :meh:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  4. The Camaro was (until it was discontinued) stuck in the '60's. I do, however, like the modern Corvette (like the first American sports car I've EVER liked) a lot. At least it is advancing in technology, instead of using a 906,000L , 16-valve full-iron engine that it is as loud as a SVT-4 PRO pushing a few 15''s in the back seat.

I really hate those gigantic pushrod engines. The Corvette though is definitely an exception. And I LOVED the ZR-1 during the late 80's.

I have no use for a Car like the Viper. For me, my personal favorite "fun car" would be a high-revving, small-displacement car. As an exmple, the Honda S2000. Redlines at 9250 rpm, yet is very driveable around town, unlike the Viper. Just a lot of fun, the Viper is so powerful that it is virtually impossible to drive in a town or city (trust me; I've tried.) I don't like an insane amount of power off idle.

Just me.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I disagree with you (as usual :rolleyes: ) Chris, I don't understand your point on how a viper wouldn't be driveable in town.....that's why there is a gas pedal, instead of a gas switch.

I will agree with the "low traction" claim on the link comparison there. Since the roads were clear last night, I took my Mustang GT to practice, and on the way home I decided I would show my singer what it had. Second gear at about 40 mph, we were pointing at the sidewalk, I think he filled his shorts :D

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a couple friends with '90's Mustangs and both of them are falling apart. IMO they are basically cardboard boxes with big inefficient engines in them. The doors don't even shut flush with the body. They just feel cheap quality wise. Neither of them are GT's though.

IMO the Corvette is the only good car that American manufacturers make. I actually consider them a pretty good deal for the performance you get out of them. I just know too many people with American cars that are less than half the age of my '88 Accord and are falling apart left and right.

7. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Yes our winter vehical is a Bronco II, something about winter snow and 4 wheel drive. But I have never claimed it was a "Real 4X4" like my 79 Bronco with a 460 was!!

8. What's wrong w/ pushrods? They are a very easy way to make an engine work. Experience the newer LS series of engines, obviously the best pushrod engine design out there. Best of the breed.

Pushrod engines are MUCH easier to package. You don't have 1-2 camshafts in the head, making an inline motor not at tall, and a V-series engine not as wide. Less chains, less maintainance for the engines. Makes perfect sense in a mass production, home mechanic sense. Has anyone ever tryed to set up a multi-cam (2-4) engine?

On the super exhaust thing, it doesn't make sense on an economy car (civic, focus, etc). Now on a sport-orientated model, sure. It's fun. On a car designed to be easy on the checkbook and at the pump......why. I guess I can understand the styling component of it.....but when you lower a vehicle to the point of uselessness, and install @#$#@$ cast rims and 30-40 series tires....you made a real-world mistake. Better get another vehicle for when you break/bend a rim, or accidentally remove some parts of the vehicle that hang down to far now (shifter linkages, suspension components, exhaust, fuel components).

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Mustangs are known for being flimsy. They are popular with the hot rod set for 2 reasons:
    1)They're cheap
    2)They're light.
    That's it. :cool:

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, they're not really cheap considering the age, and I really don't think many consider them light. They are popular, because they are quick for their price range, mine will eat most vettes all day long (has a few mods).

Gee, that puts that car at being 13+ years old, what do you expect? I have had more than one friend that has had honda's newer than that, that have completely fallen apart.....is it safe to assume all honda's are crap? As far as big, inneficient, the 5.0 cars were made to be quick, not fuel effiecient. 13 years of beating on any car will take its toll.

As they say " a horse that ****s fast, doesn't **** long.

I like my 5.0

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    By '90's I meant from the 1990's, as in between 1990 and 2000. I know one of them is a '95, but I'm not sure about the other one. Sorry I should have been more clear.

My Accord is over 15 years old and it's fine.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    So why were you considering performance mods for a serious non hi-po vehicle?;

I'm still curious about this 8" full header exhaust system you supposedly saw:D

15. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    FWIW my wife owns a 2000 Civic EX. (All stock, thank you). Its a great car, well built and economical to run. Looks good too. She'll probably be driving it for many years as she is a very loyal type and the car will last forever.

I don't like to drive it. I'm 6' 2" and 220 lbs. There just ain't enough room for me to get comfy in it. I feel like I'm squeezing myself into a sardine can. My head rubs the headliner. My wife is 5' 11" and I don't see how she finds it comfortable either. That notwithstanding, it just isn't my thang.

Give me a crude old school, big displacement, rear wheel drive car that I can stretch out in. And when I punch the gas pedal, I want hundreds of foot-pounds of torque sticking me back in the seat. I really don't mind paying for the extra gas.

The appropriate disclaimer:
    YMMV!! :cool:

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i'd rather have a rearwheel drive car with hundreds of footpounds of torque that i don't have to call 'crude' or 'oldschool'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I can go along with that jason.

However, I think somewhere we lost the idea that sports cars are supposed to be a little unforgiving. They shouldn't tolerate inept drivers and should force you to pay attention to them when driving them. A true sports car will demand your respect. Sports cars, IMO should not be so refined (dumbed down?) as they are today, that's all. :cool:

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's nice to see that Nissan has been expanding their new design style into their sportscar too. And talking about reliability, my mother owns a '86 Nissan Micra (the ricecup of the ricecups!) that still runs great.

19. The only four-cylinder car that *ever* had a pleasing exhaust note is a Subaru WRX that the wife and I heard about 6 months ago... We pulled up to an intersection with the windows down, heard it, wife and I looked at each other and went :eek: . It just rumbled delicious and sexy. Don't know what type/brand of exhaust system it had, but sweet damn, it sounded gorgeous.

Just my opinion, but all the rest of the street-driven 4 cyl. should be quiet. Yeesh.

JMO