1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fart Problems With Ampeg PR-410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xiiix, Apr 14, 2006.

1. xiiix

xiiix

Mar 24, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I've seen many threads here dealing with cabs "farting" out and I've tried all the remedies and nothing seems to be working for me...I'm sure I just need a better head but I figured I'd go ahead and ask and see if someone can help me...

I own 2 Ampeg PR-410's. I only use one for practice and I have an SVT-350 head to power it. I play a 4-string Stingray tuned to C#-G#-C#-F# and it always "farts" out when I reach the 5th fret on the low string and continues "farting" on up the fretboard...

I've tried adjusting everything from my EQ on my amp to my bass to changing cables to the gain and volume on my head, etc... and nothing will seem to get rid of it and it's driving me absolutely insane...

Any suggestions?

Also...

I had this problem while using my Warwick as well if that helps at all?
    And I didn't have this problem using the head with a Ampeg SVT-610 so I'm stumped...

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    beano.

or ditch the 10s.

or roll off some bass.

or play quietly and make your drummer use brushes.

3. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    I dont know about why it is "farting" out. But have you used both cabs with the SVT-350? Because if you have then you were running it at 2 ohms which it is not desgined for. So maybe you damaged your amp? Again I don't know but I just though i would let you know you are running your amp below its min impedance (if using both cabs)

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You are only putting 350 watts into a fairly power hungry cabinet. My guess is that you are using up your power and driving your amp into clipping, which is probably going to damage your speakers as well.

5. +1

6. xiiix

xiiix

Mar 24, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    thanks a lot guys!

i appreciate it.

7. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1 those cabs like power, and should have no problem with low tunings given the right amount of juice