1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Farthest you've driven to go back and pick up something for the gig that night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by grinx, May 21, 2018.

1. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Last Friday, first time in 33 years, I forgot my amp. Started playing an Elf and left in an ashtray (just kidding) backpack at home, which also had power cables/speaker cables, etc.. Brought a backup amp but no power cord or speaker cable.

Brilliant fail

So, I had to drive back home, luckily it was a close gig in downtown, so only took 34 min (24mi) round trip, which left me 13 minutes to set up, grab a smoke and get kickin'.

What was your longest fubar roundtrip for leaving something critical at home for a gig?

McG and Garret Graves like this.
  2. We didn’t go back, but got to a gig 150km (80miles) away only to discover our guitarist had left his guitar at the venue from the night before. He hadn’t unpacked the car at all so didn’t realise until he was loading in.

Luckily one of the bar staff at the venue that night was a guitarist and after a lot of laughing and head-shaking, was nice enough to run home and grab his for us to use that night.

grinx and McG like this.
  3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    It happened to me once at an open mic about 23 years ago. I can't remember what I forgot but I still remember driving about the same amount of time you did. I also remember I totally bombed at the open mic thus making it all the more aggravating! :laugh:

grinx, McG and Garret Graves like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I tend to be pretty meticulous when loading the car. Although there may have been times in decades past that I've forgotten about, I only recall one time, about five years ago when I needed to return home to get a forgotten piece of gear. Fortunately the gig was a neighborhood chili cook off making the drive home about a half a mile. :D

grinx likes this.
  5. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I have forgotten things like the main amp for the pa, I have my wife or daughter or grandson bring it. At the last gig our guitar player forgot the PA speaker stands. We tried tables and chairs but eventually made him drive home to pick them up.

grinx likes this.
  6. I drove 52 miles back to Galveston, Tx. from Houston after leaving one of my basses at the bar we played at the local Holiday Inn.

It was my favorite bass, a Fiesta Red Fender Fullerton era '62 reissue Jazz.

It had been recovered, having been stolen seven years previous, just a few months earlier. The person at the desk said they'd put it aside for me and I could get it in the morning.

At 3 A.M. , I went to Galveston and got my bass! Good thing I'm a night person.

grinx and Tony In Philly like this.
  7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've never had to.

I've always had a checklist that I run down at every load up.

garp and nixdad like this.
  8. Last Saturday i had to go around the corner -about 5 miles, to get anti Nausea pills.
    IT was a rough night on stage ;)

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I suspect an Australian is going to win this thread.

10. A couple of weekends ago we had an outdoor gig and when we got there it was raining so we cancelled the gig. Came home and as I unpacked I realized my pedalboard never left home. I could have played without it, but it would have been good to have if we had played. I don't think I ever forgot anything that was "mission critical" but I may be blocking it from my mind.

McG likes this.
  11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a story about this sort of thing but it doesn't quite fit the exact template. Rather, I came to the rescue for a fellow musician who was a long way from home.

I was relaxing one late Saturday afternoon on my porch and happened to have my phone close by. My sis (professional harpist) called and said she was at one of the Ranches on the far northwest side of town that does corporate events. It was a big client and they hired a huge symphonic/pops orchestra. The drummer somehow arrived with only 1/3 of his kit! It was getting close to the start time so my sister intervened for the poor guy. (His home was over an hour away so it would have been over two hours for him to get his gear. Plus, all the stores were closed. He was screwed.) She asked if I could bring some gear. She put the guy on the phone (freaking out) and I calmly asked what he needed. He was a bit wowed that I didn't just have what he needed but also gave him choices on everything. I stripped my kit and bundled up a bass drum pedal, snare, hi-hat, 4 cymbals, stands, and sticks. I raced out there and met the guy at the curb. We raced the stuff to the stage and madly set up everything as the downbeat began. Fortunately, the first part of the piece was all symphonic so we had a few minutes to get it up and running before he was required to come in. It would have delayed dozens of other players and been a very bad scene.

Needless to say he was very thankful.

12. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Thankfully, I've only ever forgotten power/speaker cables once, when I got a new amp and was headed to rehearsal with it the first time Didn't realize it needed a SPEAK ON only cable. Oh well. I've left a small mic stand at a venue, but just grabbed it the next time we played there. and left my credit card a the bar one night, but thankfully thats it.

McG likes this.
  13. More than half way from Westchester County NY to a gig in Montauk -- 130 miles each way, urban/suburban traffic -- I realized I'd left my GK MB-200 at home. Doh! But it all worked out: I searched with my phone and there was a Guitar Center 10 miles away, in the right direction. Stopped in; bought another one; used it once; returned it on my way home in perfect condition for a full refund. :) I hope that wasn't bad.... I had all my cables and cords, so I didn't need to buy those.

14. I usually take so much gear to a gig that it doesn't matter if I forget a minor component. I have forgotten a cord a couple of times at jams. Once I was able to borrow an extension cord and another time I played an acoustic guitar and didn't play my bass.

Recently there was a message on my answering device from an acquitance asking to borrow a banjo 10 minutes before the start of a concert. He said their banjo player had misplaced his instrument. I'm sure there's more to that story, but I didn't get the message till well after the start of the concert and have not talked to the caller since then.

Thump on,

One_Dude

15. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I started doing this several years ago too after I mistakenly left an RJ45 cable (used to connect certain Line 6 products with pedals, controllers, etc. – not something you can typically borrow from another musician) at home after driving 100+ miles to the gig. After the sound check, I drove around for half an hour looking to buy a replacement, but couldn't find a store that carried them.

ONYX likes this.