Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Farting = tube?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slot, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    just a quick question fella's

Lately my rig has been farting a hell of alot - Playing Loud, or Soft. You name it, it farts!

It sounds like a blown driver, but the thing is, ive never really given it enough 'sauce' for it to blow a driver. And i rarely clip it.

Do you think it could just be a blown tube?, is this how a blown tube will sound? ......Its a hybrid ampeg btw(yea, yea, i know it would be better used as a boat anchor)

Im taking it into the shop tommorow to get a service, so i'll soon find out. But i'd love to know in advance if this is how a bodgey tube sounds.

cheers

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Could be, could be something else....although I have seen only about a few really "blown" tubes. When they fail they usually have been working badly for a while first, and just go bad slowly instead of drastically failing like a transistor. Not that it can't happen...

"farting" is clear and unclear at once....if it does it at all volumes, without changing, there probably is an internal problem... Does it sound like a distortion pedal?

BTW, a loose connection inside or a bad speaker jack can sound like that, and is pretty minor as problems go.

A bad speaker usually sounds different at different levels, and often has a rubbing or tearing sound to it...

3. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    It doesnt really sound like a distortion pedal, it sounds more like that crackle you get when you blow a speaker, but its a lot "whispier", and seems to worsen when i increase the top end on the preamp or bass.

(disclaimer, i have no idea what im talking about when it comes to eletrics - i just play 'em)
    BUT - I just opened her up to have a look if there was anything obvious wrong, and one the tubes seemed black around the top, sort of similar to what a blown light bulb may look like. It still had two little orange lights glowing inside it though, so i guessed it wass still functioning......... <--does that sound like a bodged tube?

thanks in advance

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Check the battery in you bass... If you have a almost dead battery it will give that sound.

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    The stuff" in the top of the tube is the "getter", it is a material which will react with and remove remaining gases in the tube. It sounds like it is fine, although it usually looks more mnirror-like than black.

When it is bad, it generally turns white and looks flaky. That is if air gets in the tube, which needs a vacuum to work.

Unless some sort of paint is over that area so you can't see the white stuff, (used to be done) it should be fine.

Battery in bass is a good one, I should have thought of that...good on Slot for mentioning it.

6. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    thx for the replys ....

I play a passive J, so there's no drama's with the batteries. But i just took it into the shop.....they're responce: Overhaul!

I was only drawing about 100watts of power from it.

Anyyyway ...Seems like its going to be pricey, but atleast i wont sound like a farting mug anymore.

cheers

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Have you tried troubleshooting your rig by swapping out one component at a time? Run your head with a different cabinet and vice-versa. If necessary, try some different cables. But, do only one thing at a time. It's the only way to be sure where the real problem is.

JD