Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

farty emg's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spector_guy2004, Mar 10, 2003.

1. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    hey guys, i have a spector bass (professional series) that has emg-hz pick ups. i get a really farty sound out of them, or at least i think its the pickups. i know its the bass because i got a nice ne gk 700rb and it still farts. i just want to know what is going on, if they are bad pickups and i need to change them or whatever else. any ideas helps alot.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    HZs are active, right? I would first replace the battery with a new, fresh one.

3. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    yeah, i replaced the battery last night, it helped a little, but i'm not sure if thats the problem.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    the hz series are not active... before people tell you to replace your pickups or something like that, tell us how your controls on your bass and amp are set - you know, volume/pan and bass mid treble etc. how do you play it? light/hard touch, close to the bridge or close to the neck? and very important: if you're playing through any effects, try playing without them, since they have a tendency to crap your tone out.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had problems with new 9V batteries not being fresh. It may be worth picking up a high end 9V, like one of the litium types that are used in smoke detectors. They say they have a better shelf life.

If that doesn't do it...

6. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    nah these pickups are active, like i said i just put a new battery in them. i do play through effects. i tried not using them, it still farted, it was almost as if the effects block some of the farting. also when i play harder it farts, like when i play with a pick. but, when i play with my fingers it farts more. i'm not contemplating changing the pick ups, i dont have any money. i just want to know what i can do to try and get rid of the sound.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, if HZs are passive, the battery is for the preamp. Have you popped off the backplate to see if there's a gain control?

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Where did you get it from and when?

And don't worry, most likely it's a wiring issue. If it's faulty parts, the dealer, EMG, or Spector should cover the problem at no cost to you.

When you say "Farting", it it like you are overdriving something (like distortion) or is it like a buzz or rattle (string hitting fret or pickup)? Did you play the bass through another amp? Another bass through your amp?

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah Hz's are passive heavyduty- the pre-amp is active. I ahve never had any problems with my Q5 soundin farty, its always been solid.

(edit) oh there is a 2 way dip switch on either the treble or bass control, I can't remember which, but there is no gain control outside of that.