Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fascinating stuff about the world

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Hey all,

I've been reading the CIA (!) "The World Factbook" online for the past hour or so. There's so much interesting stuff in there:

Almost every entry for Iraq is:
    "...in transition following April 2003 defeat of SADDAM Husayn regime by US-led coalition"

The Falkland islands celebrate Liberation Day as a national holiday on the 14th June.

China's population is 1,284,303,705 (July 2002 est.) and their independence day is listed as 221 BC :D

The US does not recognise anyone's claims to Antartica (and quite rightly too!)

Israel is listed as gaining independence from the League of Nations!

Swedish Embassy in P'yongyang represents the US as consular protecting power in North Korea.

Moldova became the first former Soviet state to elect a Communist as its president in 2001.

In 2001 the Falkland Islands had 30,000 visitors!

Anyway, I'm sure you're all bored to death by now, I just found all the stuff fascinating. :)

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "In 2003, the CIA started watching Mike Money very closely... He is a threat to society..."

3. 99% being seagulls.

the other 1% being puffins.
    :p

4. Heh I've even corrected a couple of facts about Finland ;)

My brother was a bit upset when I told him that the CIA just emailed me thanking for the info :D :bassist:

5. lol! What did they have wrong?

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, really? that's cool.

i want to know too - what did they have wrong?

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, they probably have been spelling everything incorrectly.

Examples
    English / Finnish

Finland Rules! / Suomi Rruulleess!

Finnish girls kick ***/ Suomalainen kkiikk bbuutt

Note the preponderance of double consonants and vowels. No bureaucrat in DC could ever make sense of this language, doesn't even need to be in code! Kiittos [ or something like that! ]

regards
    Heikki Heikkonen