1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fascination with relic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Just wondering if there are others like me who don't really want to own a relic bass but are completely fascinated with them.

Unlike many others I have no problem with relic basses, there just not for me (to own anyway).....but I have this weird attraction to them...if I see a post about one I have to look....I think part of it is the whole process of how it's done and if I think it looks like a good job.

Please, no negative comments about relic basses.

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I love relics... As long as the wear is REAL.

There are exceptions, I've seen some really cool looking relic that were artificially done. But most fake wear looks, fake.

One of my recent bass purchases was a Fender with their "thin skin" lacquer. I bought it specifically to relic it, naturally. The thin lacquer wears faster, that's the selling point of it. So far the lacquer is yellowing nicely (I leave it on a stand near a window when I'm not playing it), and there is starting to be a little wear where my thumb lays when I play.
    6d7b0170.

3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I love relics, regardless if the wear is natural or not, it's just an aesthetic choice. I would love to have a relic'd Sandberg TT.

4. I like relics..on certain basses. Others just look bad.

5. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You know, now that I think about it, so do I. I like a jazz and P bass relic, but hated the "relic" on a Spector I had.

6. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Like the relic look myself. That's one reason I bought a highway one, to wear it down naturally.

7. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    here we go.........

i like em, i know what you mean about the weird attraction to them and i couldnt care less where the relic came from. i own a 2012 RW jazz it plays awesome, sound great and thats really all i care about.

8. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    I have n problem with relics, road worn etc. A lot of them look really great to me. But, for some reason I haven't owned one and I am constantly rotating basses in and out of my possession. I guess they seem a little "pretentious" but really it's just a bass after all. I have to admit I've been very tempted by the fender RW Jazz in fiesta red.

9. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Aug 21, 2008
    Germany
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    the Closet Classic relic finish on Fender's basses is the BEST relic that you can have.

10. Certain ones look pretty bad. Like, a relic on a Ric? That'd be awful..

11. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Like many others, I have no real problem with
    so called relic basses. I don't own one and never
    made one. I do have this weird attraction to them
    however. When I see a post about one I usually
    look. I like to see the process of how it comes to
    be. That is, if I think it looks like a good job.

Tabdog

12. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Hey Fuzzy:
    There's a SANDBERG California relic at Bass Central that is KILLER, IMHO.

13. I agree with this....it seems the less they do the more realistic it looks.

14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Having "relic'ed" my own bass by playing it for 30 years part of me thinks buying a factory relic bass is kinda lame. Another part of me does appreciate the research and craftsmanship that goes into doing it really well though. One thing that bugs me on some of the off the rack Fenders is they don't do them with lacquer wear on the maple fingerboards which was the first sign of aging on my Pre. Always looks cheesy to me to see a faded body and back of the neck wear with a pristine fingerboard.

15. TortugaDaPipah

TortugaDaPipah

May 12, 2012
    I really enjoy looking at them. I don't think I'll ever own one that's been done intentionally, but I will continue playing the crap out of my J until it looks good and worn in.

16. I find as I get older, I become more and more attracted to basses that have the relic look.
    Whether its the real thing, or man-made.

Maybe it has something having to do with things that look old.
    Like me. Can't explain it

17. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I'm not mad at relics, but when I see the process in process, especially when it's terribly involved, to me it seems a little silly. That said, I know it takes a lot of time, forethought, and attention to detail to get it to look authentic, so it's sort of a paradox.

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I love the look of old, beat to hell basses and guitars.

The bass that I put together is finished with very thin lacquer and the guitar I threw together is finished similarly, but even thinner. The bass is getting a lot of wear pretty quick (I'm not very careful), and the guitar has yet to see any use as it is being displayed at county fair for the next week.

My Schecter is also getting a good amount of wear despite its poly finish. Missing a chunk from buckle rash and thinning out severely in the normal wear spots. Guess my sweat is really acidic....

19. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Gotta be either on a solid colour or Sunburst , couldnt imagine a relic`d Quilted Maple for example .

20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    love 'em!!!