1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fashion question (WARNING: May contain Man Law violations)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scarlet Fire, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Can I wear a light blue shirt (almost cyan, I would call it) with dark blue pants? I was under the impression that this was an undesireable combination, but several of my friends said they liked them together. Now, I'm not very "in the know" when it comes to fashion, so quite frankly, I haven't the slightest idea. So, I figured I'd come here.

Personally, I'd match a shirt like that with kakhi pants, but I thought my TB bretheren could shed some light on this pressing issue for me.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You like it?

3. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    As lame as it sounds, I'd rather go with looks good to the majority of people than what looks good to me. I'm a conformist like that.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    As long as they are obvious different shades, it's fine. But if they are very close, don't do it. Biggest No Nos are Black and Brown and Black and Navy (dark dark blue).

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    the secret to fashion is the same secret to jazz "there are no rules". seriously, if you like it and it looks cool, be confident and wear it. I wear a lot of wierd clothes and often people question my sexuality, but you know what I DIG it (the clothes, not the questioning) and I think it's hip. That's all that matters.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    You dig that people question your sexuality? :D

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dude, do what makes you most happy.

8. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    no i don't really care, it doesn't bother me. i'm one of those dudes who likes a lot of things associated with females, so so i'm pretty used to the whole sexuality questioning thing.

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I was just kidding with that comment. :D It's just the way you worded your sentence (re read it. :) ) I don't think it's what you meant to say though.

10. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    haha. Edited. Yeah that was pretty funny the way i put it.

11. I hate blue shirts.

Got Pink Chucks to go with it?

[​IMG]

12. I'm usually against blue on blue... but if it is a big enough contrast... it might work.

I'll need some pictures. :D

13. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Anything goes with jeans or black pants. Can never go wrong there.

EDIT:

Your man card is revoked for questioning someone else what to wear. Luckily, jeans and black are manly enough to keep mine on probation. You may earn yours back after a week of wearing no deodorant and sleeveless plaid to show your git-r-dun arms. And all that pit hair.

14. Light colors contrasting with dark colors of the same color is fine. The only time it's bad is when it is too close to the same color. It's visually dissonant. Like blue pants with a blue sharp shirt, that isn't cool. But blue pants with a blue shirt an octave higher, that's class.

15. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    im not into the whole "manly" thing...if you want compliments form girls, go unshaven for a couple days and wear a pink button down...girls love it when i do...i currently own 4 pink button down shirts , all different styles and shades of course, and my masculinity is very well, thank you.

16. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    as for the blue on blue combination, it may "work" but id imagine it would also be a bit boring, go with the khackies.

17. "an octave higher". LOL
    Spoken like a true musician.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Honestly, that is one of the best analogies I've ever seen...major kudos!

19. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Wait... you mean there are guys that aren't color-blind? Here's all you gotta worry about... there's blue, there's white, and theres black. Mix and match that however you may choose.

I remember seeing a comedian talk about this. He was talking about buying some pants or something and asked the clerk if they had any tan pants. The clerk said no in a very effeminate manner and said there was some "oatmeal slacks in the far corner, though."

Sounds like tan to me.

20. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i dunno, i like having a fun fashion sense. i worked for a couple cell phone companies while going to school and i have a great shirt and tie collection now, was often told i was the best dressed guy in the company...which is very cool.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021