1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fast 16ths Trumpet Air at 120bpm?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by DrewWalden, Oct 9, 2010.

1. DrewWalden

DrewWalden

Jul 28, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    I can play the song at about 60 bpm, however the music calls for 120. How in the world do you gain the speed necessary for 16ths at that speed? Any suggestions?

2. use a metronome and start ramping up the bpm's from 60 - it'll take some time but that's the way. I used to not leave a bpm until I could do it twice w/ no mistakes . . .

3. subexpression

subexpression

Oct 9, 2010
    Iowa
    When I practice drills, I'll usually back off the tempo way down to around 60bpm.
    Then, I incrementally move up 5bpm.
    If I can consistently play 5bpm faster, then I keep moving up until I hit a wall and can't keep up with the metronome/drum machine.

That failure point is the threshold...the speed I need to focus on. Don't keep moving the bpm upward if your failure point is lower than your goal. Give your brain a chance to learn it slower, and move it up incrementally over the course of several days...even weeks if necessary.

I also don't overtax myself during practice drills. I'll practice 10 minutes, then rest for 15 minutes. I do this for about 3 or 4 hours a day. I try not to rush the progress, because the brain can only learn so fast. New synapse growth in the brain, the development of new neural pathways, is slow but you can coordinate your practice sessions with natural brain growth. The result is higher quality practices, and positive growth every time.

I recently picked the bass back up after about 2 years of dormancy.
    I began speed drills for 16th notes in 4/4 at about 70bpm, then bumped them up slowly.
    Now, after 8 days, I'm consistently playing 16th notes in 4/4 around 140bpm.

I first chop each measure of 16th notes into quadruplets:
    4, 4, 4, 4
    Then, I switch to different accents so I don't get rat-holed into accenting each quarter note:
    3, 5, 3, 5
    3, 3, 3, 3, 4
    5, 5, 2, 2, 2
    5, 5, 3, 3

I use a Boss Dr. Rhythm DR770 and program a simple 4/4 beat with 16th note high hat for reference. Then, I insert hand claps for different accents.
    It's a tremendous tool.

My goal is to top out around 180bpm. It's physically possible, even though my brain can't quite keep up yet...yet.

Oh yeah, feed your brain...eat your fish!

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Use as little bow as possible. At tempo your strokes will travel somewhere around 1/2" so keep it at that even at the slower tempo.

5. use practice rhythms. ask a local teacher how to do this, because i can't really tell you over the internet. any good teacher will know exactly what you're talking about if you ask them.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021