Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fast as a shark i need an head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 23, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Ok, i am in a new band. The band is a quite good one with a heavy sound. think to Judas Priest, classic heavy metal meets The Gathering and stuff like that.

i have an Ampeg SVT410 Hen cabinet which is rated at 8 Ohm and i am visiting all the shops near where i live to find an adequate head.

the band i formed by a loud drummer a guitar player equipped with the classic marshall half stack all tube 100w, there is a female singer and a keyboard player.

i dont' have a lot money to spend and i am taking a look at the used heads, i found:

Hartke HA 5000 list at 450 Euro which is 170+170 at 8 ohm (too weak?)

Ashdown MAG 250 list at 290 Euro which deliver 250 W at 4 ohm

Laney DB 400H list at 400 Euro

as you can guess i am not lloking for a great sounding head. i only need a enough powerful head that can go togrther my cab. music it's quite heavy, so i need power.

i'll go on taking a look around. if anyone has experience with the heads i named, you are more than welcome!

2. Just wanted to comment on your Accept nod - Fast as a Shark!!!!!

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I own a 410HE and I can tell you that thing needs a lot of power to get decent volume due to its low efficiency (96db).

Get the most powerful head out of those you've listed.

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Maybe you can consider Ashdown preamp (around 400-500€) and some power amp, to get you enough power.

5. "You got your balls to the wall, man"?

Sorry, had to say it.

Try a Hartke 3500 out. Run through a 115 and a 410 it's loud enough to keep up with two Marshall 100watt full stacks, and it sounds ok, if you like a cleaner bass sound. I played through one successfully for about 5 years in a loud-as-hell (volume to 10 always) punk band.

They don't cost too much, either.

If you are going to just play through the 410 I'd rewire it to 4ohms if I were you, though.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the one i scored is an Hwrtke HA5000. if i am correct is more powerful than the 3500.

correct?

accept rule!:)

7. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    first check if it can be bridged to run one cab. I don't think so.

8. The HA5000 can be bridged, but only into an 8 ohm load.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    so could i be able to use it bridged at full power in my ampeg 8 ohm 4x10 cab?

thanks!

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I believe that the HA5000 can only be bi-amped and NOT bridged. I have a HA7000 and it cannot be bridged. They are the same heads expect for the power. The 5000 is 250 watts @ 4ohms + 250 watts @ 4 ohms and the 7000 = 350 watts @ 4 ohm + 350 watts @ 4 ohms.

11. consider a peavey firebass 700. i'm very happy with mine, and if you can find one used you'll have a great head for C-H-E-A-P! only downside is it's heavy. for a solid state head, that is. not unmanageable by any means, though.

12. We have one at work that I have bridged running through an 8 ohm 2x10 right now. There is a "bridge" mode switch on the back of the amp. Perhaps not all versions have it. It's right next to the output jacks.

13. According to the manual at http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=14&brandID=3
    The 5000 and 7000 can be run at bi-amp or dual mono. No mention of bridge is in the manual or any of the pictures. Nor do I see anyway of sending a signal into the one side or the other of the power amp. It is all internal. I don't think from the manual that it can be bridged. Like Psycho says, maybe they are not all the same.....:confused:

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If I was on a $3-400. budget, I'd get the Hartke 3500 in a HEARTBEAT, or as you put,"Fast as a shark".
    I use one at practice, and it is killer!
    It is the bass players' amp from another band that I see live, and it sounds great against a loud guitarist and drummer. Very musical.