1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fast bassists **** off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jezz8me, Jun 21, 2007.

1. honestly i find it infuriating how people are under the impression that you play fast, your good. Personally i find fast bassists show offs that do not fit the music. Yea i accept it in metal but i hate the fact people only want to play fast.

i can play at a decent speed, not terribly fast but i get no joy from it i like when basslines have a melody that supports the music and they arn't just the bass equivalent of shredding.

that is my rant, what ever happened to the bassist who does his job, are we really as bad as guitarists?

2. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    Well, to those people's knowledge, fast does mean technical prowess, and let's face it... who doesn't want to show off?

Besides, I wouldn't worry about that. Most people can tell when a musician is out of place because he goes lightning speed.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I thought the title said fat bassists.
    I an underwhelmed by this thread, because I was expecting much hilarity from fat bassists.
    That is all.

4. lol fat bassists are awesome :) but sorry it is fast bassists

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Get a clue.

I see sweeping generalisations and trolling abound. Play what you need to. If you need to play fast, do so. If you don't like it, spare us the grief of a thread that will no doubt cause needless arguments.

6. I agree with the above post.

7. I'm a fat, slow bassist;)

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's a different musical approach, some people play different than you: It's a fact.

Not everyone thinks fast = good, but a lot of people do. Most seem to equate technique with musicality. I don't really like shreddy bassists, but some do: Oh well.

9. You have to go fast when you're tapping. I need to pretend I'm a guitar player

10. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    Well... when you have speed you have speed - when you don't, you don't! I DON'T!!! I've been saying for years that I have to work on speed... but never got around to it - I know how to gain speed, I've read tons about it and had several teachers tell me specifically what to do to get it... I guess I haven't needed it enough to bother... till now!

Suddenly I find myself playing in a band where some of the tunes have long fast sections - granted these are pop/rock/r&b/funk tunes so compared to some of the jazz and speed metal stuff I've seen they're prolly not that fast, but still - it's a skill that I have to work on. Will it make me a better player??? Yep! But not because I'm fast or the fastest, only because it's another skill or tool that I can utilize in my playing...

Maybe when it's time for you it will be more important. Note - I work for several churches where the new "hot player" guitar, bass, keys, whatever is the guy with the speed and super chops - whether or not they can actually play a song, so I hear where you're coming from...don't let that get in the way of you growing!

11. I find when I slow most things I try to learn down to say 20%, I have more trouble holding tempo than I do at 50% plus. The bridge to Evanescences' Bring Me To Life where the bass plays the octave/pull off fills is an example I am struggling to play slow.

So...

How slow is slow? And how fast is too fast?

12. The way I see it playing really fast is a tool and there are places when you have to use it. However I'm not going to play fast all the time. I think the same way about tapping and slapping.

13. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    To me of you can't play fast you are not good. Unless you play well slowly. Then you are good. :D

14. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    if the tempo over 100bpm you r playing 16th notes you r show of wanker who needs to **** of and go play guitr. :(L:))D:D:D:

This thread called for such a response.

15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I play fast ...when it's appropriate, and I can play very fast when I want to and I enjoy doing so. I also do my job as a bassist holding down the bottom end, keeping in the groove, and adding all those other little things like dynamics, phrasing, touch and feel, as well as a whole lot of other intangibles a close-minded weener like yourself never thought of. If you think that fast = poor bass player then f*** off, yourself.:spit:

16. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Hoo-ah, I want in tooooooo!

My only real input:

Don't think that because you saw a video on youtube of a guy playing fast, he sucks. Maybe he felt like doing that for fun. Fun is subjective.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I totally agree. You shouldn't play music to have fun, but to let the rest of the band have fun. You should stay burried in the mix, stand in the corner, stand still, and play the hell out of that root note. What, you play something other than the root? What are you, a guitarist? Do your damn job.

Then you can complain that you don't get any attention, you aren't appreciated, and that people say bass is easy.

18. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You rant applies to any music style and to any instrument.

You need to play apropiately for the song. If you are playing Paganini's caprices, you better playing them at tempo. If you are a blues bass player, you better lock it down and let it simmer nice and slow. . . etc.

It's all about playing for the song and not exceeding your talent. Nothing worse than somebody trying to play fast when they can't.

I love Planet X as much as I love Norah Jones. . .

19. To me, being a good bass player means playing what is require for the song. If the songs needs fast bass, then thats what i play, if it needs me to chill out and play straight 8th notes i have no problem doing that either.

20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    +100

End of thread. Left has spoken the final word.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021