Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fast Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by D.J, Jul 18, 2000.

1. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Who are or who is faster bassist/s in your opinion?

2. It would have to be John Deacon from Queen, hot-dang is he F...A...S...T !

To be honest I dont really know, the fastest playing I ever heard would either be Flea on a live CD (bootleg, sorry everybody I know I is done bad). Stu Hamm on an album of his doing a live solo (gor blimey!) or maybe Les Claypool, he plays some mental stuff (shame it sounds like it'll make you go bonkers)!

I know that there must be faster bass out there, but I don't really listen to music for the bass (well...alright...sometimes, I do), but mostly I avoid 'bass' music...it scares me.

I keep meaning to hear this Victor Wooten guy though, he sounds cool. (Honestly, I've never heard him play).

3. I would say something like "who cares, it's not a speed competition?" but it just so happens the fastest bass player I've ever seen live was Jeff Berlin, and he also happens to be among the most musical bassists I've ever seen.
    But it's still not a speed competition.
    It's WAY harder to play slow than fast, while keeping a good groove going.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There used to be a guy named "Adrian Davison" who was marketing himself as "The fastest bass player in the world". he could (or claimed he could) play 31 notes per second. The people at bass player magazine actually ridiculed him a bit, which I thought wasn't that cool, even though they guy's claim to fame was a tad ridiculous.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

5. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Wheel:
    There used to be a guy named "Adrian Davison" who was marketing himself as "The fastest bass player in the world". he could (or claimed he could) play 31 notes per second. The people at bass player magazine actually ridiculed him a bit, which I thought wasn't that cool, even though they guy's claim to fame was a tad ridiculous.

Will C. [​IMG]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeah!!! That's right.. I forgot about him! Remember Jim Roberts' review of his album in BP, in which he parodied "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe and totally flamed the CD?
    I believe Mr. Davison played the infamous Lado Zapper bass.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    &gt;but it just so happens the fastest bass player I've ever seen live was Jeff Berlin, and he also happens to be among the most musical bassists I've ever seen.
    But it's still not a speed competition.
    It's WAY harder to play slow than fast, while keeping a good groove going.

Dave, I completely agree. Jeff is amazingly fast and musical. Furthermore, I think you're right on the $ that speed 'per se' is a poor way to judge musicianship.

8. Um...uhh,, Stanley Clarke.

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oh, My God!! Yes!! Stanley's bass playing on "Captain Marvel" on RTF's "Light as a Feather" is amazing!

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Wheel:
    Oh, My God!! Yes!! Stanley's bass playing on "Captain Marvel" on RTF's "Light as a Feather" is amazing!
    Will C. [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and that was on ACOUSTIC bass!
    (Right?) [​IMG]

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimK:
    ...and that was on ACOUSTIC bass!
    (Right?) [​IMG]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JFC! I mean, Jim! I always thought that tune sounded kinda "uprighty" but I didn't think it was an upright! Same for "500 Miles High". It should actually be obvious. Well, I found the impetus to practice the upright again. Now where's that damn Simandl book?

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BW-
    I'm pretty sure that Chick Corea is the ONLY one playing an electric instrument on LIGHT AS A FEATHER.
    BUT...I'm probably confusing RTF's version of "Captain Marvel" with the Stan Getz version(Clarke, Corea, Airto, Tony Williams, & Getz).

..."OK", I just checked; RTF's version is much quicker than the Getz version. The Getz version really sounds ACOUSTIC...now I'm not too sure what Clarke played on the RTF version. Either way, Clarke's smokin'.

...WHEW! I dunno; I listened to RTF's "Captain Marvel" twice. It sounds acoustic...damn, that S*** is quick!
    Did Clarke play an EUB back then(like an Ampeg Baby Bass)? If so, the EUB would be my guess. Man, I haven't listened to this tune in awhile....it's F***ING depressing! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by JimK (edited July 18, 2000).]

14. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
  15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimK:

Did Clarke play an EUB back then(like an Ampeg Baby Bass)? If so, the EUB would be my guess. Man, I haven't listened to this tune in awhile....it's F***ING depressing! [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim:

I know that Stanley did own one of the old Framus Triumph electric uprights (which Warwick has brought back, by the way), but I think he had an early pickup on a regular upright. The sound has that upright timbre and warmth without the usual 'hollowness' and I don't think they had electric uprights that were that good around that time. Then again, I don't know. I was born in '71...

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BW-
    Hopefully, someone will enlighten us! That tune is one 5:00 samba that'll kill ya; check it out!

Usually the "fastest" guys are the nameless, faceless guys that perform at NAMM shows. Figure that out...

17. Guys, what about Stanleys solo work?

thats some prety a w e s o m e stuff too!!!

[This message has been edited by RIZ (edited July 19, 2000).]

18. I saw Stanley Clarke in concert about 5 years ago and he did an upright bass solo. If anyone is questioning whether he's playing upright on songs because of the demand of the instrument, I can tell you he had no problem with it the night I saw him. It was nothing short of incredible!

19. JLeeFJ

JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    Rush's "YYZ" from "Moving Pictures" contains some frickin' fast finger pluckin' goodness. Geddy may not be the fastest out there, but he doesn't need to be.

John Myung is up there too. If anyone here has listened to "Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory," Myung has some awesome riffs and fills. Of course, Petrucci and Portnoy tend to bury his stuff underneath their guitar and drum work (respectively). What a pair of arrogant @$$#*les.

------------------
    "We told you before, but you didn't hear us then. So, you still question why! You didn't listen again!" -Rush

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

BW-
    Hopefully, someone will enlighten us! That tune is one 5:00 samba that'll kill ya; check it out!

Usually the "fastest" guys are the nameless, faceless guys that perform at NAMM shows. Figure that out...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim - I've got the 2CD "re-issue" (Verve Master Edition) of "Light as a Feather", which includes alternate takes with different solos and unrealeased tracks. It also has a lot of the original documentation and photos from the session. All the photos show Stanley Clarke playing a full-size upright bass, but it does say on the notes that he also plays electric bass but I think you can hear pretty clearly that he only plays electric on one track and that the tone is very different. I'm sure from repeated listenings that the tracks you mention are on upright.