1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fast Cars for Full-Sized UB

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by venom_5, Jun 20, 2007.

1. venom_5

venom_5

May 7, 2007
    just like the title says .... is there such thing as a fast hatchback/wagon that will fit a full-sized upright bass?

i dont want to have to do the whole folding down the front chairs and swinging it in from the side ... but i dont mind folding both rear chairs down

anything with > 200hp? or at least something that feels fast?

2. Subaru Forester XT

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    What's the rush?;)

How about a Porsche Cayenne Turbo? 500 BHP!:eek:

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Dodge Magnum with 6.1 litre Hemi. 425hp.

That should get you down the road fast enough.

To fast? To rugged? Audi Q7 is 300 hp.

I'd drive either one!

5. b1644

b1644

Aug 24, 2005
    Northern Ontario
    Toyota V6 RAV4... 269hp(!), decent gas mileage (if that's important to you ;) ), runs fine on 87 octane and it's reliable.

With my 3/4 bass and amp there's still seating for two more people or more gear. The scroll of the bass does have to poke between the fronts seats (just barely though).

- Martin

6. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Saab 9-3 convertible!!
    Top down with bass out!!

7. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Subaru WRX Hatchback.
    2.0L 4 cylinder Turbo. 0-60mph in 5.3 seconds or less.

9. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i drive a 2001 saab 9-3se (when they still made them with hatchbacks)....i looooooooooove this car and with the rear seats down it will easily fit a full sized bass im sure.

i believe it has 225 or 240 hp and is insanely fun to drive!

10. Any of the larger Volvo R series wagons or even the regular high pressure turbo wagons should fill the bill.

Peace,
    S

11. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    +1 on the Volvo V70 R.
    An even better car is the SAAB 9-5 Aero , its a friggen crazy sport car , but still a hatchback.
    I drive a Volvo 960 , its on of the verry few hatchbacks you can fit a double bass in to without putting it between the seats etc , just slide right in, the newer Volvos are shorter and smaller.

12. venom_5

venom_5

May 7, 2007
    great responses, keep em comin

but like i said ... hatchback/wagon, no SUV's [not even RAV4s]

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    When did volvo start making race cars?

14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 on the Lexus RX. Also check out the Ford Edge -- 265HP.
    8-FordEdge.jpg

15. I have the XT. I call it the DeForester due to mileage. Anyway, my 3/4 is a challenge due to length. I have to fold the rear seat and move the passenger seat forward quite far for a safe fit. But the car really is fast.

16. Actually my friend's 1966 Volvo won some SCCA regional championships back in the day. Street Volvos started to get fast back in the '80s and have just kept getting better. Of course they continued to produce some plainer models too. Way back I preferred my Saab 99 turbo but these days I prefer the Volvos.

Peace,
    S

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/volvo_racing.htm
    http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/releases/2007/stcc_2007.shtml

Like most Euro road sedans Volvos can be made to go really fast and like most Euro road sedans people do make them go really fast. You don't hear much about road racing in North America but Volvos get raced a lot.

I could get an upright into the '86 BMW M5 I used to have and it was real fast. My mom's had a couple of 9 series turbo Saabs though and for a sedan I don't think much comes close in terms of speed and handling vs. practical use of space.

18. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I used to drive a SAAB 9000T hatchback -- it was a great car and a decent (not great) bassmobile, but I like my current RAV4 (V-6, sport suspension package) better as a bassmobile and almost as much as a car. It's really quick and handles well, and it holds a ton of stuff.

19. Fat.Mike

Fat.Mike

Dec 15, 2006
    Tulsa, Ok
    Mazdaspeed 3. DFI, Turbo, and 260 horse.

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Audi A3, A4 or A6 wagon.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021