Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fast fret making strings duller?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I just picked up an old habit and bought a can of Fast Fret. I used it on fairly new strings I had soaked in alcohol overnight. They were nice and bright but became noticable duller when I rubbed fast fret on them. I used it a couple of times but the strings just became duller and duller. Installed another, even older, alcohol-revived set on and now my brightness is back. What's up with that? I remember Fast Fret to prolong and keep the brightness of a strings. Now it just made my stainless steel strings sound like nickle strings. So will Fast Fret give me and retain a brightness similair to nickles, even though I'm using steel strings? Any thoughs?

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm not familiar with 'Fast Fret', but I soak'em all the time with 'Finger Ease' spray, and haven't had trouble with dead strings. ..But on the other hand, I usually cut the highest-highs (used to use a no-tweeter cab; now I use a big'ol horn, but do GK crossover highcut at 5KHz), so I can't really speak for the crystal-ding that a lot of players like.

I recently switched to T.I. Jazz flats (no roundwound-ding if I even wanted it now!). Now that kind of worries me; I'm afraid that it might interfere with that silk inlay thing they have going on, and harm sustain or something!

Joe

3. Yeah, I can see why your worried about the silk inlay. The silk on my string ends doesn't look too good after a couple of soaks in alcohol (neither do I ;)), but they're only serving a cosmetic purpose. Dunno about the TI's