1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fast Fret WORKS!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ClassicRock55, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I have had a pair of LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats on my Corvette Fretless since February. Being the only bass I use at gigs and for practice, the strings have seen their fair share of action. Today as I applied beeswax to the finish, I decided to give the strings a good clean. First, I took them off the bass. I put some fast fret on a paper towel and vigorously rubbed each string, moving back and forth, taking about 3 minutes to scrub down each string. After wiping down the fingerboard with lemon oil, I put the strings back on. They sounded brand new, like they needed some breaking in. I was shocked at how well it worked. No more of that grimy feeling every time I play. I'm looking forward to another 8 months of service from these guys.

Anyone else here have much success with Fast Fret?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I can't stand the residue and the smell of kerosene on my strings.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used it for years. I don't bother taking the strings off.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yeah, that stuff is great!

You can also use it on the fretboard instead of the lemon oil if you like.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i never understood how gunking up the strings with that stuff helps keep them new sounding.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if you want something that will really clean your strings and prevent gunk and build up. caig deoxit string wipes. www.caig.com

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Zippo lighter fluid takes the peanut butter right off--try it!

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you want to pay even less, but it in its generic form: vm&p naphtha.

WD40 will also work if you don't object to its smell. Contrary to popular misconception, it's not a lubricant. WD40 was formulated to displace water (WD stands for Water Displacement), and it works very well as a solvent.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Yup, I know this is a 7 year old thread.....

In any case, I bought a $6 package of this a few weeks ago (metal tube with cloth and Fast Fret in stick form) and I can't believe how well it works!

I have ran this up and down the strings on 3 of my basses and the strings are immediately noticably brigher.

Not sure how, as almost no gunk came off on the cloth and I am amazed.

No sticky or really slippery feel after and the smell is more like Dr. pepper than WD40 or lighter fluid.

Well worth checking out IMO.

10. When I read the original post from 2008, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself...

Why would I want to go through the trouble of taking a well-broken-in set of flats off of my bass and clean them so they "sound brand new, like they needed some breaking in"?? :eyebrow:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Billyzoom and Camaro like this.
  11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This method clearly only works on 2-string basses.