Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fast Help??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey Guys, I'm here at work and my buddy brought in his BEAUTIFUL precision bass. With factory hardshell case with orange velvet inside. We want to find out the exact year of this beast is there anyway to find out? It's got a maple neck, and the word "precision bass" is just like they had in 1968..69..70 etc.. the big letters. Is there ANY way to find out the year it was made without taken the neck off and ****? can you tell by the serial number? Thanks guys!. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I need this info fast since the bass is going home with him after we are done working :) :bag:

p.s. just a hint at the age he bought it used from a friend of his in the early-mid 80s, and it has some wear on it even back then. my guess is lates 60s. but I'd like your help for amore exact answer.

2. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Posting the serial number here can also get you some VERY quick answers.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Thank you guys :) we found the answer

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    So you're just gonna leave us hanging? I need closure...and some pics.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That was educational for me:
    73 tele bass
    72 fretless p-bass
    73 fretted p-bass
    94 j-5

Thanks;)

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I'd give you pics but me.. being the dufus that I am.. I left my camera at home.. it's a 73.. Precision bass.. sunburst color with some wear in the usual spots from being played. The guy might trade me a new P-bass and a 40w amp for the '73. you guys think thats a good idea? should run about $600. needs new strings, guitar polish, i need to polish the pegs and bridge, and needs to be intonated and action worked on.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A 73 Precision in fair to good condition is worth at or above $1000.

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Holy crap! OK :) THANK YOU! ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW :hyper: If I took it to my local shop and had them work on it.. do you think it would sound better then my brand new squier P-bass? because right now it sounds like crap.. but then again it's been neglected since 84.. hasn't been played since '85.

10. Get the strings! Polish and action are do-able! Make sure the neck is "straight" and then get it in shape. You'll either love it, or get a whole lot more for it than "40 watts". Is the new "P-bass" US made?, or other? Could make a difference.

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    He changed his mind.. i'm buying himn a BC rich Beast bass and a rogue 60watt amp.. still about $610.