Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fast popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, ive been getting into some victor wooten and i have a couple of questions about the super speed popping he does. To achieve his fast popping does he hold his fingers together and do a pop like he would normally? im sure i have saw him do that on a video but when i tried the string was popping against the next finger down rather than hitting the fretboard.
    Also on "classical thump" at the part near the start when he starts playing triplets is he only slapping on the e string and popping the others? Because i cant tell

Thanks, Lewi

2. One if the coolest thing Vic does when hes slapping and popping, is this technique where he uses his thumb, after slapping down on the string, he pulls the thumb up from under the string on the same note, to create a double note kinda thing. With the added pop afterward, it becomes really convinient when trying to do really quick tripilets you were talking about. Try doing it at the base of your fretboard at first, to allow your thumb room under the string. Later, it should get easier to do it further up on the board. The key is to pull up just like you would regularly, but hook your thumb under it really quickly, right as you hit the string. Its pretty difficult, but gets easier with time.

3. I studied Vics techniques for a few years and come to the conclusions that he can use all of his fingers. Well to pop fast, what I have been doing is using my fingers all four of them. I-M-R-P (in variable order) is not going under them but against them. This sounds confusing but it helps. i can get quick sextuplets, quintuplets, quadruplets and triplets. But they need to be used sparingly. I cook on the side. You don't want too much flavor. Just sprinkle it. Anyways just go against the strings and to get a pop sound push harder.

4. 5magics

5magics

Jan 16, 2006
    Virginia
    One of the main techniques Vic uses to achieve great speed is the open-hammer-pluck. In his official website he goes explains quite well how to do it. It also shows in the variations of the open-hammer-pluck how he uses index and middle fingers to get fast pops. Its kind of hard to write everything about this in here, so you can just google Vic's name and it should come up.

P.S. I think SnakeAnthony is refering to a double thump, which Victor also uses alot.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...I often do a lot of fast popping when I'm doing Mark King style lines (it also comes in handy for when I'm in a Stanley Clarke mood). I usually go I-M-I to create a triplet and will often mix it up by throwing in the thumb and left handed slaps to create the illusion of even more speed.

For me, it just developed naturally, but I would also reccommend looking into Double Thumbing and OHP techniques.

6. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    I have been looking on the victor wooten website and at the lessons section but i didnt understand the OHP technique. It says in the article that he slaps a string, hammers the note than plucks the string but shouldnt it be slap, hammer than pop? Than i saw the video of him playing classical thump and i couldnt properly make out what he was doing with his left hand. It looked like he is slapping, hammering than slapping.

http://www.victorwooten.com/ if you go on this website than clikc on lessons, than lesson six there is a link at the bottom of the page where it shows victor playing classical thump.

7. Classical Thump is all double thumbing. (I mean the transcribed section) It's a really fun song to play when you get it down (I mean just the part that he transcribed on his website. I couldn't get close to playing some of the really hard parts in the full version of that song). Ok, reiterating: You SLAP the open string...then you hammer the appropriate fret/note of the already ringing string...then you pull your thumb back up through the string with your left hand still holding the appropriate fret down.

With regard to fast popping, I am not good at it. What I do to create the illusion of fast popping is I pop at a normal speed, only I use a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs. (This is limiting though. I think you mean fast pops on the same note or notes a 3rd or 4th or more away.)