Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fast / Quick 15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Aug 16, 2002.

1. I did a search and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I'm wondering about the fast 15 inch speakers out there and who makes them? SWR, Eden, Ampeg, Mesa, and any others you might recomend? I might do a poll at a later time, but know not which cabs to put on right now.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    File this with the "portable 8x10's" thread :D

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  4. Which Mesa/Boogie, the EV loaded Deisel cabs or the PAS powerhouse cabs?

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    SWR Son of Bertha cabs.

6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You'd want the EV-loaded cabs...very punchy!

7. Doesn't SWR use PAS drivers. Is the SWR 15, or 18 faster than a Mesa EV loaded 15?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I love my EVM Black Shadow 15. Very surprising, very full range, very quick and articulate. In the small road ready Mesa 1-15 cab, it kills.

My Ampeg B-100R combo is very nice too and not slow or muddy at all.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    The SWR Big Ben (1x18") uses a Bag End driver (at least mine does :) ).
    It's suprisingly quick for an 18, even with a tube head (e.g., Mesa Buster).
    Careful tho - the Big Ben moves a LOT of air :p.

10. My RR,EV-loaded Mesa 1x15 had more punch and mid-growl than both my Eden cabs; 2x10xlt+ the 2x12xlt. A terrific stand-alone. Folks sure like their Bag End stuff tho'?

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It's my understanding that Peavey Black Widows are classed as "fast" drivers. By that I mean that they have a light, rigid cone, and a powerful magnet but with a small amount of cone travel (and a small area of linear magnetic control).

As it was explained to me, "Fast Woofer" is a technical term to describe drivers with those characteristics.

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Fastness doesnt necessarily mean good tone. Eden 115XL/T are great 15s, but with a sort of woofy sound that sounds great, but may not be quite as fast as a BagEnd or the such. Consider it.

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with Golem. "Fast 15" is an oxymoron X 10^15.

15. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Bag Ends are fast but lack bottom,they trail off below 50hz.I sometimes wonder if the tiny box they put them in has something to do with that.

16. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I play through a pair of Bag End S 15-D's. I think they're pretty quick, but I don't think you'll find a 15 that's a quick as a 10, or even a 12.

The Bag Ends give me all the bottom end I need, but I do think they tail off a little bit on the low end. Their cabs are small, light, and very portable. I got them because they provided the best sound in the most accomodating package (I can easily carry one in each hand). I love em.

17. Crest or Crown. Neither company makes 15's, but any 15's you use with their amps sound tight as hell.