Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

faster left hand....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheLastMinute, Jul 16, 2002.

1. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    alright guys i just want to know if there are any good excercises out there to increase the speed and agility of my left hand. any help is greatly appreciated. thanx!!

2. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    come on guys im asking for a fellow bassist who needs some help and hasnt registered to ask for himself yet. help a brother out.......

3. Just practice a lot. Scales, arpeggios.. Use a metronome or your foot to mark the tempo.

And be sure to have a proper right hand technique or you will find it hard not to get stuck as you develop your speed.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Economy of movement are the keywords. Small but precise moves helps increasing speed. Also, getting the bass a good setup is highly beneficial - the strings should be close enough to the frets to allow you to fret them using a rather light touch.

Anyway, just having left hand speed is useless if the right hand can't follow. Coordination between left and right hand movement is more important than agility in each individual hand. (More difficult, too!)

5. Souplesse is the keyword (at least mine). When learning to play a fast part, either left hand, right hand, or both, I always try to play as relaxed as I can. Keep your shoulders down!

6. scales (all your modes and double octaves), arpeggios, coils (3,4, and 5 notes), scale tone thirds, and chromatics if practiced will deffinetley build speed. Dont forget to use a metronome.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    2 questions:

1) How fast can you currently play?

2) What is your speed goal?

I think most bass players have all the speed they need once they become fairly proficient. Playing faster won't necessarilly make you a better musician.

The best advice I can give you is that you practice with a metronome. Play your current basslines at a speed you're comfortable with, then speed up the metronome gradually. No improvement will come overnight and you shouldn't sacrifice clarity for speed.