Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fastest bassist in the world?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassist286, Nov 3, 2005.

1. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    How come i have never heard of any competitions for the fastest bass player. I know it would not be the most musical of competitions but i would be curious to see who it would be. It would have to be scientific. Some sort of note counter woudl have to be riged to a bass or something. There sould also be different catagories: two-finger-style, ulimited finger(as may as you want on the plucking hand), slap and pick. I dono i just think it would be interesting to see how woudl come out on top. I was jsut looking at videos from WFD (world's fastest drummer) the world record is 1407bpm. for bass drum that is.

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I would probably imagine there wouldn't be enought interest. There are not really that many "bass shredders".

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No one hires bassists based on the number of notes they play. That would be like electing politicians based on how much they talked.

Little secret: playing slow is a lot harder than playing fast.

So I guess I'd be interested in knowing who's the bassist who can play the slowest.;)

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I am

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    He wasn't talking about with women!
    :D

6. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    I can play 1024th notes

At 30 tempo.

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sid Vicious was undisputably the fastest bassist ever.

He was so fast his life was up before he hit 21.

Speed kills.

8. Remember that guy who posted "FASTEST BASS PLAYER IN THE WORLD" ads in bass player, and everyone though it was an April fools joke because it was in the April issue (but it wasn't, the guy was dead serious)?

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Adrian Davidson.

I've heard him...I'm not buying any of his CD's... ;)

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Was that the same issue where they offered the new "shredasauris" bass guitar for bass solo's only? They ran a picture of Fender Strat! I think they got about a dozen calls for that "custom bass" designed just for playing solos. :D

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The one who didn't realize the female vocalist at the open mic was married to the bouncer.

12. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

One of the only bassists I ever auditioned but didn't hire was just incredible, but so damn annoying. Could hardly sing for his damn noodling around the fretboard.

I like bassists like Geddy Lee who can be fast and busy, but know how to support what's going on and not break it. ;)

Love expressive musicians, whether they're slow or fast, but most who focus on speed really suck big time.

Man, what a bad attitude... :rollno:

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    +1

Musicianship is one thing, pointless wankery and egotism is quite another.

14. Here's my attempt boom kluck kluckity kluckity boom kluck klan :D

15. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep. I think the Guiness Book of World Records actually clocked him at 32 notes per second.

If you think about it... that's actually a note in itself, isn't it?

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMHO, because it would be an utterly worthless distinction, and hence a totally pointless competition.

17. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    It's hard to imagine anyone with more fingerspeed than Billy Sheehan. He is 'one type of fast' and the one that I think you are referring to. If you buy 'Bass Day 97' you'll see that he even makes other great bass players dizzy.

18. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Haha, I remember that. I think the in the previous year's April issue they had a fake player in their monthly hometown hero/amateur profile feature, and he played that shredosaurus thing. In that same issue they had some totally wack fake "bass" review in the review section. It had like this extra neck with one string going off at an angle from the body, and it had a horseshoe pickup (a la Rickenbacker) but it was an actual horse shoe screwed onto the body, a tone on/off button, and body wings that could flap, etc.

19. a fastest bass player contest would be a bit like a fastest "lover" contest.

i guess you could... but it completely misses the point, doesn't it?

20. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Not unless you could play 100 different songs in a row! :bag: