Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fastest finger style bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    So who are some of the fastest and i mean reallly fast finger style bass players? And name some of their songs that they really show their speed in.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Geddy Lee.

Animate- Rush

Or

YYZ- Rush

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Check out Billy Sheehan, Jonas Hellborg and Jaco Pastorius

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Try Steve DiGiorgio. 'Images' by Sadus and 'Nothing Is Everything' by Death show of his amazing (fretless) abilities.

Graeme :bassist:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique Di Piazza on John McLaughlin's Que Alegria or on Frontpage - Frontpage.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Matthew Garrison - Duet

7. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Even if he is known for his slap skills, I would say that Bill Dickens has the fastest finger style technique and by far. Go to his official website in his video section and pay attention when he is playing finger style. It's totally insane. Billy Sheehan has an amazing technique to.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
  9. Jaco Pastorius is pretty much the fastest bassist I've ever heard. Check out the solo in Port Of Entry (Weather Report's "Night Passage" album), or Cromatic Fantasy (Jaco's "Word of Mouth" album), or Donna Lee (self-titled album), Donna Lee doesn't sound THAT insane at first, but get a book and read along with the song as he plays it. He is ALL OVER the neck, quite possibly the hardest bass song ever. (It's taken me 3 months to be able to play the first 20 seconds of this song at about 3/4 the actual tempo)

Also very fast: Stanley Clarke. Besides having superior slap skills, he can finger pick like a mofo. Check out the song Life Is Just A Game from the School Days album, or The Desert Song for some crazy fast upright stuff. Some very fast stuff.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...beat me to it :spit:

The Buddah is unbelievable w/ fingerstyle technique and speed...he doesn't get props 'cause his slap skills are off the chain!!

11. Bass_noobzor

Bass_noobzor

Sep 2, 2005
    Ontario
    Try downloading a Bass solo by Larry graham he sounds pretty good to me ^_-

Also check out

The minibosses listen to the basline in punchout it sounds sweet

12. TheThumb

TheThumb

Jan 2, 2005
    Geddy Lee's very quick. And Billy Sheehan. The guy from 'Tower of Power' is incredably fast... and funky... and tight!
    Jaco's chromatic fantasy is crazy. I tried to learn it from a tab book, note-wise, before actually having heard it, I thought I could blag along with it when I got it. My God :help:

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Rocco Prestia......not doing too well, last I heard. Guess he needs a liver transplant

14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Billy Sheehan. Listen to Sugar Blues by Niacin, Birds of Prey by Tony MacAlpine, or just about any song off of his solo album "Cosmic Troubadour".

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Tom Jenkins
    Billy Dickens
    Carles Benevente
    Charlie Wooton

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Also - definately Gary Willis... Listen to Slick from the album Thick.

17. +1 on Tom Jenkins! J-raj is the man.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Robert Deleo "Trippin on a hole in a papper heart".

19. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Geddy Lee, Alex Webster, Billy Sheehan, Steve DiGiorgio