Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fastest jaco solo?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rashbeep, Nov 5, 2005.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i'm guessing it would be chromatic fantasy but has anyone heard any faster?

2. Cromatic Fantasy is probably the most complex for the speed. It is damn fast, but I think the stuff his left hand is doing is way more impressive then the speed.
    Anyway, the fastest solos that come to mind are....
    Word of Mouth (the song)
    Port of Entry (Weather Reports "Night Passage" album)
    (used to be a)ChaCha (very fast at times, insane throughout)
    Some versions of Teen Town
    Some versions of Donna Lee (look for live versions of these last 2, live in NY series for example)
    There's a bunch more, but I've been awake for like 30 hours and can't think clearly right now.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> That chart is a brutal ballbuster...

Slug

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Used to be a cha-cha comes to mind..

5. Ive not heard alot, but what about the "bass solo" he did with weather reoport (thats the only name i know that file by)

6. Boy. That could be anything....

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    well on record it might arguably be with paul bley and pat metheny in 1974

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Question: Why not "Best Jaco solo?" Why does fast matter? He's not the fastest bassist in the world, and he didn't work on making that his trademark.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree entirely - you could always pick any solo and play it at twice the tempo specified or 4 times as fast... :p

10. Remembered the name of it, "Slang" ring a bell with anyone ?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are many versions of Slang - it's just the name that was given to Jaco's solo slot in the Weather Report set - it varies depending how Jaco felt on the night - but usually it had some melodic playing, some use of harmonics and a bit where Jaco used a delay to set up a loop, then his Hendrix tribute with overdrive - but it was all improvised freely and never exactly the same! :)

12. Yeah, i knew it was a mainly live thing, but if you search for it, there only seems to be one recording off it commonly on the net (you know, some of us werent lucky enough to see him live :p )

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah if Jaco had one trademark then it was surely his use of harmonics (open and false). i've always had the feeling his use of a fretless gave a theoretically infinite amount of harmonics he could use. He knew them all like the back of his hand. its just amazing watching him incorporate them into his solos at will.

Otherwise, i would suggest Donna Lee (like other TB'ers have) or Come on Come over. its short bursts of fast passages, try doing it over and over again and see how you go. :bassist:

14. Jazzosaurus

Jazzosaurus

Nov 8, 2005
    Jaco didn't play his fastest very often on his
    official records. When he did it, it was often short bursts.

Listen to the end of the solo
    on the title-track from the album "Invitation".
    That is very fast!

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's because playing fast has nothing to do with playing music or being musical.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Does you mean any piece of music with a fast tempo is a bad piece of music? Surely not. I think I've misunderstood your post - sorry!

I agree that playing fast just to be flash is not always musical if it doesn't suit the music you're playing. But that doesn't mean that avoiding playing fast in every circumstance is going to make you a better musician.

17. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    exactly. being able to play fast is a part of being musical. so is being able to play slow, soft loud, slap, pick, pluck, tap etc etc

just like the colours within an artist's palette that he/she uses to paint.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Er... right. I think I understand now. :eyebrow:

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

20. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i meant that musical ability is more than just being able to play fast :bag: