Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fastest rock/metal bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Power Axe, Sep 21, 2004.

1. i was just wondering who everyone thought was the fastest rock/metal bass player.
    i would have to say either joey demaio or steve harris.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Billy Sheehan

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Agreed. And the guy from Cannibal Corpse. I don't like their music so much, but man is their bass player fast. His name escapes me at the moment...

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    John Myung should certainly be mentioned - if not for his sheer speed (which is formidable), but for the speed that he can cleanly play complex fills and riffs.

5. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    A lot of the guys in black/death metal bands are insanely fast, it's not a genre I care much for though. Tchort from Emperor comes to mind though since he's one of the few guys in that style I really dig.

John Aldrete from Racer X is also a metronome destroyer. Anyone who can hang note for note in harmonies with Paul Gilbert has to have some killer chops. Aldrete in my opinion is faster than Sheehan, or Myung. Not that that really matters, or that it makes him better, just an observation.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree-most of the fastest drummers and bassists I've heard have been in death metal bands, although I don't like death metal.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A lot of death metal is hard to tell due to muddy mixing. But I'm leaning twoards John Myung, due to his speed and the fact that he plays clean.

Any moron can bang on the strings really really fast. Doing it clean is a totally different issue.

8. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    +1 for John Myung and Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse). Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne's pretty fast too.

Granted I'm not a fan of nu-metal or Mudvayne or gore-metal like Corpse, but Martinie and Webster are very good bassists.

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hehe, that "Bassists of Death" page is funny. All the guys there are made out to be the "best", with the combination of "incredible speed, rhythm and accuracy" etc... However, I don't believe that the author's native language is English, so I shouldn't prod him too hard.

Then again, the info for Jaco is kinda whacked: "One thing that one must remeber when looking upon jaco is that he was the first one to play this way and many have gone far beyong him but Jaco still hold up pretty well to thoose guys, so in the end he was a great jazz player that had what it took to play anything in jazz atleast. Well since most of you who reads this are metal fans I suggest you listen to the soundclips with an open mind and take it for what it is: foundational work."

Foundational work ey? ha

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    He also says the bass player for Atheist is the best player in the world....now Atheist has amazing bass playing..but there really is no "best".

For the record..for fast as hell playing check out Atheist..they are about as tech as it gets.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well, it's pretty easy to tell if a person is heavily-influenced by Jaco. Normally they wank all over the fretboard as fast as they can with a horrible sounding melody and then call it a solo. I imagine that Jaco would be the place to start if the person wanted to be more soloist than bassist. I don't really care for Jaco's style, but I recognize his talent and innovation.

But most of his carbon-copies seem to lack in the innovation category from what I've seen.

12. I'll vote for Myung and Martinie. I like how Ryknow uses the slap pop in metal. He said that he uses that strings as trampolines for his fingers.

13. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143842&page=3 (This thread briefly mentions the Martinie trampoline thing too.)

14. thanks blademaster that was informative :)

15. Guybrush

Guybrush

Mar 22, 2002
    turkey,istanbul
    steve digiorgio

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as far as fastest bassist, i think adrian davidson held that title, with a clocked speed of something on the order of 32 notes per second, sustained. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

17. a 2nd, esp the sadus stuff rather than death.
    Doug keyser
    Shaun malone (cynic)
    guy out of spiral architects ( like doug keyser but crazier)
    spiral architects are probably the most tech band I have heard (metal). Cynic are good too.
    I prefer the more melodic metal players rather than smashing lines that the guitar is doing.

18. yep.
    So what is that... 4 groups of 8 fingered taps/sec or something like that?
    Was it melodic? :D

19. ok i thought demaio was quick
    32 notes a second thats insane, i wuldve thought that was impossible.
    who is this bloke what band is he in i must hear it.
    :bassist:

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't think adrian was ever in a band, or at least he wasnt' known for his band playing. he was a solo bassist in the late 80's, i remember his ads in the back of guitar player at the time with him playing a rick, of all things.