Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Fastfret" and string life.........

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SlapDaddy, Aug 1, 2000.

1. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I've used fastfret since forever and it lives up to it;s name but does it REALLY extend string life..???

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I also use Fastfret. I've never noticed that it extends string life. Maybe it does, I don't know.

I use it mainly for it's lube properties.
    For string cleaning I use alcohol.

Now, I also play guitar occasionally and it does seem to have an effect on the G, B and high E strings. But this may be because they are plain and not wound, thus more prone to corrosion.

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

3. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Onyx,

Do you remove the strings or leave them strung-up when you clean them with ETOH?

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I leave the strings on if I clean them with alcohol. The only thing I need to do to protect the fingerboard and the finish is to slide a towel under the strings. Any hand towel will work if it is long enough to reach from the nut to the bridge.

I find that trying to remove strings for cleaning and then re-installing them is a hassle, especially with string-thru-body designs.

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im a caveman, so i nothing about this fastfret of with which you speak! What is this "fastfret"?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My impression is that it's something **guitarists** (boo hiss!)use. I've never come across any bass players who recommend it.

7. I used fast fret for a few years and found that it did improve string life by about 25 per cent providing it was used immediately after the gig, however when my last one ran out (about a year ago) I refilled it with WD-40, which to my surprise seemed just as good and about a hundred times cheaper. :)

8. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Fast Frett???? You guys should try finger ease. You can sprey it on the back of your neck too.Silky smooth.

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    yes it extends the string life like crazy i had some dead as hell Ernie Ball strings put some fast fret on it let it sit over night and they sounded better than new

10. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Bruce,
    I didn't see an acoustic in your profile but I'll bet you play one some! Fastfret is especially helpful on the "phospher bronze burn" I get after 2 or 3 acoustic sets.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - I don't and never have played acoustic anything! I often joke that I wouldn't be able to create music without electricity.

I have never had any need for "artificial aids" to playing and can play long sets quite happily. I must say that I like my basses clean and tidy - no messy stuff. ;)

I have met quite a few guitarists who use this kind of thing, but never any bassists - out of the hundreds I must have talked to in the past.

12. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Bruce,
    OhkeeDoke!
    Spike,
    Thanks for the tip.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think I had a can of Finger Ease back in the 40's, it was slick but there was a residue so I stopped using it. The main reason I stopped was because I saw (through others) that it was quite possible to play without it (just train your hands not to sweat). It's the same reason I don't use a Beaver Felton bass glove or other "aids". I have no problem with anyone else using any of these things (as if it matters what I think;)). Go for it.

SlapDaddy, I never understood the "phospher bronze" thing, they just never appealed to me.

14. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Brad, (and everybody)
    What strings do you use on your acoustic instruments?

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Years ago, I bought a cheap ABG with phosphor bronze strings. The strings sounded way too "guitary" for me, so I put flatwounds on it and it warmed it right up.
    I'm curious about Spike's use of WD40. Anyone else tried it? I wonder if it would damage the fingerboard at all. I could use a little lubricant on my flatwounds on hot days. (sounds kinky....)

16. Monkey,
    I just use WD-40 on the pad from the fastfret dispenser, directly and sparingly onto the strings. (Run the pad from bridge to neck and back once)
    I don’t and wouldn’t advise anybody to use it on the fretboard or neck.
    Sorry if my first post was confusing.

Spike.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nickel roundwounds, Ken Smith Burners on my last one, an El Capitan fretless 5. Also Thomastik/Infeld Nickel rounds. No wear, great sound, big body. I'm guessing you mean acoustic bass "guitar":D

18. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Brad,
    You guessed right. I'll try the TINR's. Tx
    SD

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have used Fastfrett since the 80,s only as a cleaner after gigs and practice to take the sweat and grime off left by my hands it somewhat keeps the strings alive, I find that if I we are being rushed off stage or there's multible bands playing and I dont do this right after playing my strings are totally dead next time I play. Im one of those clean guy's and I take very good care of my equipment I love FF..
    Just a simple mans opinion!!:D

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    BTW the easiest and cheapest way to extend string life is to wipe them off. I wipe mine off at the end of a set and the end of the gig and typically get over a month or more of real use out of my Nickel rounds. I'd guess even for "sweaters" the more you clean them off the less buildup there will be.

Cost: a clean towel or rag.