Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fat baseball bat neck: suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Oct 9, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Although the thread below made a few suggetions, Im looking for folks who know of INEXPENSIVE current or past basses (must be a 4 string w/P or P/J config) that has a narrow neck width (ala jazz neck) but a very thick dimension front to back (from palm of left hand to fretboard). My 88 Warwick Streamer is like this, but I mentioned inexpensive because ideally i would like a cheap bass with nice stock neck to play around with as a project bass.
    By the way, it seems just because something is called a "C neck" doesnt mean its all that chunky, at least to my hands. I dont think C neck really is any standard size

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107777&highlight=thick+neck

2. Warwick's cheap line has a similar neck, as far as I remember.

3. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Is that right? Last Warwicks I checked out had a rather wide neck, chunky in a kind of weird way. In fact i just sold a Corvette 5 that I had reprofiled, but maybe the new 4s are different. Maybe the Rockbasses have different necks from the German ones

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a Used Warwick, many of them have baseball bat necks.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Any of the warwick BO's have huge necks. The NT's have smaller necks.

6. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    yes i know, i own the neck thru warwick. anyone with other suggestions besides warwicks?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Some Spectors have really thick necks, but I can't recall which model line.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The Geddy jazz feels that way, at least to me.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  10. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, he asked specifically for a slender fretboard but a deep neck, and the Geddy fits that, if you ask me. At least relatively, when you compare how wide it is to how deep it is.

11. If you're talking about wideness(even if they're quite narrow at least at the nut), oK but not thickness(Geddy's are flat necks)
    Conklin GT4 have flat necks and they're wide but they're not deep at all, By the way I mean it.
    If you're looking for a baseball neck, the Geddy Lee is not for you nor the Conklin GT4.
    Spector, Pbass,Stingray or even G&L(not sure for these) would be more what you looking for, IMO.

12. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Sure doesn't feel flat to me...if it didn't, I wouldn't play it- I really don't like flat necks. But, hey, that's just how it felt to me. ;)

13. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    The older, U.S. made Peavey Foundation basses have a neck that is deep in the hand but SUPER narrow towards the nut. They are also good bargains if you like Jazz basses and find one thats still in good shape.

I would say between the mid 80's and early 90's. I haven't played any new ones, if they still even make 'em.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Super narrow.

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Guild B-302 from the 80s. Serious chunk in the neck, and a HUGE tone. They tend to sell between 350 and 600 bucks. The pickups are noisy, but the tone is enormous.

Hard to find, but worth the search.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Epiphone Thunderbirds.

At least my friend's Motley Crue sig one was.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Fender Tele Basses have big fat necks, nice playing too.