Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fat Beams ... Foderas

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Its amazing how much more flexible the Fat Beams are from the Foderas. Nice round finger style sound. So much easier on the fingers and they dont make so much of a screech and grab my fingers when I move up and down the fretboard.

though, im starting to miss how good the Foderas sounded slapping. The Fat beams cant compare with the great slap sound of the Foderas.

I guess Highbeams are next on the string list.

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I haven't had a set of DR's that did not sound great for slap.....and I use em all. I do have a set of Fodera's on my shelf and they are going on next so I am looking forward to it more so now.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

secretdonkey and i were just talking about that,
    i'm clueless. but please invite him by PM to weigh in, I
    know he is working onight, but he had defo opins on that
    and I respect his take on it,

4. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I know. The conventional wisdom would seem to say counter to my claim. Im currently adjusting the string height to test slap under various string heights.

I could just be adjusting from the uber-bright fodera sound.

5. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Ok, after a good bit of string height and truss rod adjustment, I have to say these strings are great. Theyre just what i was looking for. The slap sound came through.

I still think the foderas have a much better slap feel, but i dont miss the zing, stiffness, and the grabbiness. These Fat Beams are just so much faster and softer on the fingers. Plus, these Fat Beams seem much more versatile. They're so smooth and mellow with pianisimo notes and come alive with more forte notes. The Foderas couldnt pull off smooth and legato too well with their brightness. Though, if I had a purely slap style bass, Id put some foderas on there. Great ringing notes and tone.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Did you ever try the nickel Fodera strings? The stainless steels are too bright for me but I really like the nickels. Sounds like you were just playing the wrong ones. ;)

7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    You might be right. however, other than a dead sounding low 'e', these fat beams are great. Are the nickel strings as stiff too? Thats another difference im not ready to go back to. Im really starting to like how flexible these 105 - 30 fat beams are.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hmm..I dunno. I don't have a problem with them being stiff. I can bend strings just fine if thats what you mean.

9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah, 'stiff' is hard to quantify.
    ill try them later. Might be just what i was looking for.

10. I'm using fat beams in 40-100 and they are the best strings I have ever used. They are fexible, easy to pop, bright, consistant and none of that messy silk crap on the ends. What are the fodera's sound? are they mega bright or dull? What is the feel like compared to the DRs?

11. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It seems to me that "flexible" strings do not equate to a good slap tone, simply because they are too flexible. A stiff string will have a tighter sound.

12. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Foderas vis a vis Fat Beams
    Foderas are very:
    Stiffer, brighter, rougher (read: grabs your fingers)
    They also dont have that silk crap.
    I would call them the uber bright, not just bright.
    If you like slap and piano sounding notes, they are for you.

The fat beams sound so much darker and smoother in comparison. But what really jumped right out at me was the flexibility. I could feel it immediately when I pulled the strings out of their envelopes. Those foderas are stiff!

jdombrow- im with you here, though I thought the foderas had ample stiffness to spare. These fatbeams, while nice on the fingers, pump out a great slap feel. Bear in mind Im using the 45-105 setup, maybe that helps out, but they feel smooth like buttah compared to those foderas. Just my opinion