Fat beams!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by monsterweights, Sep 20, 2002.

1. My old lo-riders died, so I went string shopping today. I decided on the DR mm5-130 fat beams.
    WOW! I have never had such clarity on my b string before. I went with the .130's because of the 34" scale, and they sound fantastic. Pretty
    brite, but I can't wait to play them with my group, I bet they will blend with the mix great. Until now I didn't think it was possible to slap my b string, it always sounded to muddy. I was blaming the scale, it was the strings all along.
    Has anybody else tried them?
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, but the results i had with them weren't that great. i mean, they were OK, but i had to change them. it could've been my bass, too. maybe it just doesn't sound great with the marcus miller strings. but it sounded great with slowounds, and now i'm using a set of sr2000's which sound really good, too.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yowzah! I love them, as well as Hi Beams, Lo Riders and Rotosound Swings....different strings for different applications.

See my review of the "Marcus/Fat Beams" in the Talkbass gear reviews from Feb. of 2001 if you care to. I love `em but switch around depending on what the music is.

Different strings perform differently on diffferent basses. Finding those that work best on your bass to your ear is always a great feeling.....Congrats!!!

The "Marcus" didn't win the MIPA "Best Strings in the World Award" from in 2001 for nothing.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I stuck a set of Fat Beams on my Peavey Cirrus. I put the 125 B set on there. I can't believe how great that bass sounds with those strings. I had tried different strings out on it, but had always came back to the Peavey Cirrus strings, which sounded good, but nowhere near to what the Fat Beams do.

I think I have found the strings that will be used on that bass from now on.:)
  5. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I threw a set on my G&L L2000 last week. They're great strings but I really don't think that they match up with this bass particular bass very well.

G&L's are inherently aggressive basses, especially on the top end. The Marcus' seem to have a lot of mids and top end - too much to pair with this particular bass. I'm going to throw some Lo Riders on it next. It's been wearing Hi Beams for the past year but I'm looking for a little more tension.

I've been bumping up the mids on the amp when playing my Fender Jazz lately. I'm thinking that these strings might be an excellent match for that bass.
  6. I use 'em, I love em. Huge Phat funky sound, and they lasst forever!!! My Surine won't be without a set for awhile.
  7. QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    I use the fatbeams on my Lakland 55-94. These strings make my bass come ALIVE. I got the low end, razor sharp highs and just enough mids and punch to make any bass scream for more. And yes these strings last a while. Couldnt ask for a better set of strings in my opinion.
  8. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    .....Yeah, I'd imagine that they'd sound great w/ a Bartolini equipped Lakland.

As for my G&L, I replaced them w/ Lo Riders tonight. I replaced one string, played the bass, switched the second string, played the bass, etc....

The difference between the two sets was like night and day. The bass sounds great again.

I was thinking tonight... none of my basses have common set of strings between them <- not for lack of trying... It would be great to buy in bulk. The instruments are all different and have relatively unique prerequisites for tone and tension.